 Off-Topic / Debate / 18566
Re: What does a Republican have to do to cause outrage? [was Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:54:00 GMT

Some background on Thurmond [From Irish Times]:
http://flag.blackened.net/daver/misc/thurmond.html
==+==
When he was governor of South Carolina in 1948, Thurmond ran for
President on a
"states' rights" (code for "white power") ticket, advocating "segregation of
all the races". In 1964 Thurmond stumped the south for the blatantly racist
presidential campaign of Barry Goldwater (as, of course, did the independent
counsel Kenneth Starr). Ever since, in his deplorably long political career,
Thurmond has continued to appeal to the racial prejudice of an
electorate which
has rewarded him with an eternal place in the Senate.
==+==

Everything I read about this issue tells me that Strom 'renounced' his
segregationalist views, that he became more moderate thru the years.

Times changed and so did Strom.  Lott, on the other hand, still hasn't
clarified what he meant by "All these problems thru all these years" and
that two line apology isn't gonna cut it.

This, as far as I can see, puts the 'moron' quote waaay down the scale of
political slips.

Dave K

I have no love for Lott and certainly not for Thurmond.

I just have one question, where does the "blatantly racist" charge come from
with respect to Goldwater's campaign? I'm wondering if that reveals a
tendency for the Guardian to play loose and fast or whether there's
something else here going on. Remember that there is a difference between
racists supporting a candidate and the candidate (or their campaign) being
racist.

Here's a book review from Reason that has some thoughts on this topic

http://reason.com/0203/cr.gg.he.shtml

and here's something from a fan site

http://www.barrygoldwater.org/king.htm

(these are not necessarily the best cites from the best sites)

One of my favorite BG quotes:

"You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be
able to shoot straight."