 Off-Topic / Debate / 18489
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:43:38 GMT

You really could have done the BT in a
non-offensive way, steering clear of the "controversial" stories, but it
appears that that wasn't really a concern of yours.

Hey all.  Huge long thread here that sprang up while I was away.  I'm
tempted to respond to about every other post, but fear it's a fruitless
quagmire.  Rather than hit any of the theological points of issue, I just
wanted to address this one, which is purely about Lego presentation.

John, I would disagree here.  Which are the non-controversial stories?  If
you are referring to the prostitute by the side of the road (Genesis 38),
etc, I might say, well, okay.  That's a pretty odd and relatively
inconsequential story to most Christians.  But if you're talking about Abram
and Isaac, or the Plagues, or the Cross, probabably 3 of the most
"controversial" stories to many, you can't have the Bible without them.  I
would say that in Genesis and Exodus Brendan has done a pretty good job of
telling the straight story.  I do think the editing together of passages
from Paul's epistles is fairly agenda-driven, but I also think it's fair to
say that that is how non-Christians might read those (and, sadly, how many
Christian's have read those).

If we take out all of the "non-controversial" stories, I think we're left
with a list of begats.  And given that the act of begetting is at least
PG-13, we probably wouldn't have that either.

Bruce