 Off-Topic / Debate / 18301
Re: How not to get fired...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:28:49 GMT

Work for the US Federal Government, that's how!

"Federal personnel data shows that just 434 civilian federal workers were
fired for poor performance in 2001." (well under 1 in a thousand... not
surprising since 98%+ get "fully satisfactory" performance ratings)

from a Cato Institute screed on the Fox News site:

A note to the mentally lazy: pointing out that not very many people get
fired (compared to how for profit businesses where employee performance
presumably matters) is not the same thing as suggesting that there ought to
be a quota(1) on how many people get fired a year in government.

The point is that US government jobs are, in large part, sinecures. Once one
secures one, one is safe from actually having to do good work. (2)

1 - While I personally would be in favour of such a quota, it misses the
point to suggest it, and it's a tired rhetorical device to try misdirection
like that

2 - Since no good debater responded to this post, I shall henceforth assume
that we all agree this is true, US government workers don't have to perform.

++Lar