 Off-Topic / Debate / 17581
Re: TJ acknowledged a Creator in DoI (was: Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:07:04 GMT

If anyone feels that I have not made my point adequately or that John is
worth wasting more time on, please tell me so via email or in this forum,
and I will happily continue.  Otherwise I will, a la Pilate, wash my hands
of this.

I don't like to see John stating his own opinions as facts either, esp. when
much of what he has to say is contrary to the facts as understood and
accepted by the rest of us.

The Constitution trumps all other laws.  Even the preamble is not actually
law.  Documents that are an important part of our legal heritage are also
not law; however interesting those documents may be in terms of authorial
intent as regards some of the framers of the Constitution.  Laws that are
unconstitutional operate as if they had never been written or enacted in the
first place.  One might have to stand one's ground in court, but that's how
it works ultimately.

A lot of your arguments about Constitutional law are absolutely correct.  A
lot of what John has expressed seems predicated on a limited understanding
of how the Constitution operates in our political system.  I think you have
pointed out his errors -- the job is done.

What makes me so hostile to John's views is the lack of respect he has for
individual rights.  Religious freedom does indeed include freedom from religion.

Why should anyone respect your views and your rights, John, when you show
yourself to be so cavalier with everyone's else's views and rights?

The most american of all possible traits is to defend everyone's right to
difference and disagreement with even a perceived majority.  This is what I
see disappearing from our society as the days, weeks, months, and years pass...

...it's quite sad really.

The United States is not a democracy -- it is a democratic republic.  The
difference has everything to do with individual rights -- EVERYTHING!

-- Hop-Frog