 Off-Topic / Debate / 15248
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:31:43 GMT

And I don't want filth in the eye of my or anyone else's child.

Why not?  It is only by exposure to all kinds of stimuli that children are
able to understand and begin to make sense of the world around them.

Sorry to break it to you, but 'porn' and 'quality' are not mutually exclusive.
Please cite examples, or are you speaking hypothetically?
Come again?  Porn has *everything* to do with money and nothing to do with
creativity.

This is false.  Eroticism is part of what it is to be human.  If you want to
shut off that part of yourself, and close the door for your children on it
until they are 18 -- fine, go ahead.  I think it is a far different matter
to think that the world at large should help you in your project, or that
they would even be interested in helping you for that matter.  I think you
will find that your own children will have their own uses for things that
you would not have accepted for yourself -- just give them time.

You want quality porn, try some of these leads: Michael Ninn, Anais Nin,
Anne Roquelaire, De Sade, Lords of Acid, Franz Von Bayros, Story of the Eye,
Andrew Blake, Lydia Lunch, Icart, Caligula, Brad Holland, Harvey Kurtzman,
Norman Lindsay, Gor, Macho Sluts, Carmina Burana, Baudellaire, Rimbaud, and
the list goes on and on...

Your mileage may vary, but I think a lot of other people would support much
of the above as both pornographic/erotic and of quality.

For adults that's fine; I'm concerned about kids.

Excessively so.  I expect you'll find they can just as easily seek out that
which doesn't just fall into their laps by accident.  Children are naturally
inquisitive -- you connect the dots.  Basically, I think your project is
doomed regardless of what you do.  You are trying to squelch a perfectly
natural, normal, and healthy human motivation -- people are sexual, they act
on their sexuality, they create art about their sexuality, they like to
observe other's sexuality...

People are sexy. Deal.

-- Hop-Frog

P.S. For a long time I thought it was okay to let other discuss their moral
agendas without comment from me -- but in the main, these people generally
turned out to be religious zealots of some kind or another.  We others, an
until recently silent majority, have found ourselves on the outside of
public discourse on a number of subjects of great interest to us because we
thought our access to many things was a kind of birthright in the western
world -- that people in the *free* part of the world were not subject to the
petty censorship of others.  This is a false assumption. Freedom is not free
-- it has to be paid for with a vigilant eye and a strong voice.  You want
to talk about protecting your kids, John -- I want to talk about sex in
public places. You want people to feel bad and hide normal, healthy
expressions of their sexuality away from public view -- I want it out in the
open because I think guilt and shame are more damaging to the human spirit
than pouring radiactive waste on DNA.  You may believe in an after life (I
hasten you to it, BTW) -- I believe in the life at hand, and in trying to
make it a happy place to be for those of us that want to make a go of it.  I
am not going to let the world around me be designed by Xtian influenced
nincompoops who are more worried about a judgement that most likely will
never come than in trying to make the world a beautiful place to be a human
being.  I am on the side of the human beings, I really have no idea what
side you are championing.