 Off-Topic / Debate / 15221
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 05:52:30 GMT

"James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message

Anyways, I think parents have an awesome responsibility, and a moral
imperative to act upon that responsibility.  A responsibility to their
child, and a responsibility to society.  Its a terrible shame that so • many
parents don't act, and its a terrible shame that the family is so • attacked.

how is "the family" attacked by this film?  If you are meaning that the • people
are living in a alternate lifestyle, then be careful.  I _have_ spent time
living in a household of 2 lesbians- in fact, I think about 3 different
households.  I think they were _as good or better_ than some of the other
foster care houses I spent time in- at least the people involved seemed to
care.  Personally, I think that "Family" is what YOU make of it, and not • an
external defined relationship.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough and because of that you misinterpreted my
intent.

I meant to say - I think its a shame that the traditional family unit is so
attacked in our society and that its acceptable to break it up (divorce,
lack of committment, absentee fathers, etc etc) - the effect being there's
less chance of someone truly responsible and committed raising their
children.

More questions:  Do you have to biologically or otherwise have to have a
child of your own to excercise parental responsibility?  Wouldn't it be • nice
if everyone acted responsibly towards children without anyone telling • them
to?

I would say yes, I think it would be great.  But...this is reality, not • some
fantasy land.

That's why I phrased it 'wouldn't it be nice...'

I'm not
cleaning up someone else's mess.

But yes, you are.  You are by implication, trying to get Jason to clean up • what
you consider to be a "mess".  Jason has labeled the film as being intended • for
"adults", and that is all I consider his obligation to do.  He is NOT • saying
that everything on his site is fit for kids (he is not decieving anyone).
Jason has NOT got any obligation to "look out for" kids who he has no • control
of the actions of (or any way to disipline them).

You misinterpreted me here.  That sentence was directly related to the story
about my best friend's siblings.  By me acting in a parent role at times,
I'm not cleaning up the kids' parents' mess by replacing them totally.  They
are responsible parents, they just can't be in the same room as their kids
24/7.

I did not intend that phrase to mean 'I'm cleaning up Jason's mess by
expressing an opinion that....'

Sure, I'm trying to convince Jason to do more.  Is it my responsibility to
do so?  No.  Do I think it will be beneficial?  Yes.  Can I freely express
an opinion on the mattter?  Most definitely.

Responsiblity without athority is pointless, because the person who is
responsible has no meaningful way of controlling the actions of others.

I'm not getting it, could you explain?

-Tim