 Off-Topic / Debate / 15206
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:44:19 GMT

Well, (and sorry for straying OT;-) bringing LEGO back into the discussion,
fantasy play IMO is best when the stakes are high (saving the world or even
better, the universe), from the evil Ogel [the *very* antithesis of LEGO and
all that is good] and his HFs (henchfigs:) for instance.  That is why there
are no politician playsets-- too boring:-)

And here I thought it was cuz politicians were more evil than war! :)

As long as the action is taking place in the realm of fantasy, I find no
problem with kids battling evil where ever it is found.  Bringing violence
one step closer to home by creating war themes based on actual conflicts can
easily create a tendency to glorify war and this I agree isn't good.  As does
TLC, as evidenced by their reluctance to create such themes based on reality.

I will agree that in a fantasy realm it's better than in a realistic-fantasy
realm. IE a futuristic fantasy with violence is "better" than a modern
fantasy with violence. Helps to distance it from reality. Not that it
doesn't still serve to teach violence as commonplace, though.

The major problem I see with kids playing "war" with toys is that they do it
without purpose, because they haven't been taught morality.  Right and wrong
are relative and meaningless, and so instead of battling good against evil,
they simply battle for the sake of fighting.

Agree. That's a problem.

Seems to me that your problem with commonplace violence is being fostered by
attitudes such as yours toward morality.

Honestly I don't have much of a problem with it. I'd actually be fine if TLC
wanted to produce tanks & machine guns. And rest assured that'd I'd be 10x
more likely to buy my kids (had I kids) HP sets than tank sets. Doesn't mean
I *wouldn't* buy them tank sets-- certainly I might as they got older... it
would require case-specific scrutiny-- but if they liked HP *and* tanks, you
can guess which I'd buy first.

Prior to seeing & hearing about the videotape (which was the time at which
GWB Jr. was speaking) I was under the impression that bin Laden was actually
still capable of being a good person. However, the comments about his own
people not knowing they were commiting suicide pushed the limit. I think
he's most likely evil. Of course by my relativistic theory, I'm not SURE of
it, but it's my guess.

So his evil status is based upon how much information you have regarding his
culpability? So as long as I do evil without anyone's knowledge, I am not
evil?

No no-- his "true" moral state is unchanged. It's only my understanding of
his moral state that changes with knowledge. IE, if you steal a loaf of
bread, and I hear the headline "AFOL Robs Local Store!", maybe I'll think
you're evil. Especially if I watch the Fox special on you. It doesn't change
whether or not you're ACTUALLY evil, but when I find out what you stole and
why, perhaps I'll change my mind. It won't change your status, just my
understanding.

Similarly, if you SAY you think you're moral, it's not necessarily so. Even
if you consciously believe it yourself. Your subconsious could quite well
know the moral implications that you hide from your own self. Gets tricky
there...

Better example: Bobo the koala gets ahold of a beretta. Bobo plays with it,
and shoots his pal in the head. Is Bobo evil? No.

But his action is.  Innocents can do evil without realizing it.

Disagree. For the same reason that I don't see a lightning bolt as evil. One
needs to have a moral sense in order to be deemed evil, as I see it.
Otherwise you're just amoral. Lightning bolts are amoral. People genearlly
aren't.

DaveE