 Off-Topic / Debate / 13826
Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:05:18 GMT

Is this "censoring" really any worse than this:

US urges curb on Arab TV channel
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1578000/1578619.stm
==+==
Washington has asked Qatar to reign in the influential and editorially
independent Arabic al-Jazeera television station, which gives airtime to
anti-American opinions.
==+==

Here's a bit more.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/000/349xmyff.asp

They draw the conclusion that Powell may be overreacting a bit, and I tend
to agree.

I loved this line:
==+==
National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice criticized Al Jazeera for the
broadcast, on the grounds that, among other things, it could be used to send
coded messages to terrorist "sleepers" in the United States and elsewhere.
==+==

Was it show on CNN? I bet it was!

Yes, in fact it was

If they had got it 1st, would they have
shown it? I bet they would!

No bet. They would have, based on the environment they operate in.

Would there be calls to censor CNN? I doubt it!

Actually there have been, as it turns out. All the major US networks have
been requested not to show these taped missives any more and all (including
CNN as I understand it) have agreed to comply. I wonder if the BBC will as well?

I have no idea. I hope not.

But you're incorrect about calls to censor CNN.

I'm also surprised. Do you agree with it?

Scott A