 Off-Topic / Debate / 13318
Re: The big lie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 08:59:34 GMT

I am actually interested to hear why you have changed
you mind on airport/line security.

I don't believe I *have* changed my mind about it.

Really. Who psoted this then:

==+==
I want to get the federal government
_completely_ out of every area where it's made
such a mess -- health care, education, law
enforcement, welfare, foreign aid, corporate
welfare, highway boondoggles, farm subsidies. Not
only are these programs unconstitutional, they do
tremendous damage to our lives.
==+==

Presumably it was me, but whether it was or not (I forget and you gave no
link so I can't check without searching) I agree with it.

Nothing inconsistent there with my stance on airline security or airport
security either. The airlines ought to be responsible for security on board
airliners and ought to be held accountable (strictly) if and when they blow
it. The airport owners (which in most cases are government but SHOULD be
private) should be responsible for security in airports and ought to be >>>>held
strictly accountable if and when they blow it.

Was there a point you were trying to make?

So why is it OK for "the feds" to invade your privacy at the airport but
nowhere else?

Um, it's not OK there either. Not at private airports, not in an ideal
system.

I'm talking about where the government own the airport.

No, you were talking about *all* airports. But I don't see any difference in
this case. For example: The government contracts with private firms for
cleaning in some cases and uses public employees in others. Maintenance,
cleaning, security. All functions that should be provided in the most
effective way.

The admins of these airports (as with private ones) ought to individually
decide what to do about security. If that means they want to use public
employees, fine but I would not give these employees any more (or less)
power than private security contractors.

Let me get this straight. You think airline/port security should be set by
the private sector (I have shown they can not be trusted) and regulated by
lawyers (removing the responsibility from the consumer)?

We're in a mixed system so some compromises happen. Doesn't mean I
like them or accept them or agree with them or think they are good.

So no, it is NOT OK and I think we can do much better than we currently have
done.

The fact that you even ask this question means you haven't really been
paying attention to what I've been saying for lo these many years, because
the answer is a clear implication from first principles, which you must not
have grasped yet.

Larry, whenever you start to squirm we either get this "it is not an ideal
world yet so we have to compromise for now" answer or we get the "LP
dreamland is an ideal world which can never be attained" solution. I wish
you would deal with reality.

I deal with reality every day. I wish you would have a *firm grasp* on
reality, but I digress.

Youch an insult! How adult.

Is there a point here? You don't pay attention, you can't reason from
premises, you won't admit it, and accusing me of squirming is just your
typical smokescreen, or in some cases, your typical spew, to try to dodge
that fact.

Read it again.

As for "first principles", I have become convinced that you do not even
understand what "freedom" really means. What tipped the balance was this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=13204

I'm totally comfortable with what I said there and see no contradiction.
Feel free to explain how it shows that I don't understand what freedom
means. Freedom does NOT mean letting those that violate your rights get away
with it if you can help it.

Your comfort is irrelvant. You said what happened on the 11th was an attack
on "freedom and liberty", I'm just asking you to justify that (if you can).
This text questions the premis that it was an attack on freedom and liberty:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4266289,00.html

The author takes it apart. It is a long text, but well worth the read. Read
it, and then tell me what you mean by "freedom and liberty".

I'd say it's a lot more likely that you have no comprehension whatever of
freedom or rights or the markets or critical thought or a host of other
things. Why don't you go away?

The fact that you think I do not understand these things shows me that you
do not understand them.

ho hum.

Scott A

++Lar