 Off-Topic / Debate / 12631
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:08:16 GMT

But it should also be considered a wake up call to our
government

Correct. It is indeed a wake up call.

for it's unarguable role in fostering aggression and hatred
around the world, and within our own borders as with Oklahoma City.

You're full of it here, though. It's extremely arguable.

I'm dismayed, and even a little sickened, but not surprised, that you'd use
any opportunity to parrot your usual tripe. The US, flaws and all, is more
of a world saviour than a world oppressor. It is time you realised that.

This really is rich coming from you, the USA may well be viewed as a world
saviour by many - but my understanding is that "world saviour" is not a roll
you are happy with. Or have events this week changed that?

I am comfortable with being a world saviour in the sense that we set a good
example to the rest of the world on how to do things and how be free
(imperfect, but better than, say, Syria), but not in the sense of being the
world's policeman. We did not take on the duty of fixing everything. But now
that we have been attacked by snakes we must go and root out the nest for
our own safety's sake. If it makes the rest of the world a better place as a
by product, I'm OK with that as well.

I have never supported foreign intervention for any reason other than a
selfish one, to wit, that it was the only way to defend our own citizens at
home. Not because it was our duty to defend the rest of the world, or even
our citizens abroad.

But defeating the USSR, for example, although done for selfish reasons, had
a great by product, it made the rest of the world safer.

The aggressor has made the mistake of attacking the homeland. They will pay.

If I were Saddam Hussein, who has made the foolish mistake of exulting, I'd
be enjoying the running water while I could. That country needs to be
disassembled too, their citizens freed, and the oil pumped out and sold to
pay war reparations.

Latest news is that the "Afghan government is in hiding". They can run and
hide but they cannot escape. Secretary Powell declined to specify what would
be done but said a week deadline for all of bin Laden's organization to be
turned over to the west was not unreasonable. He's being too generous.

I note that you did not respond to my call for concrete suggestions with
concrete suggestions. Rather you sniped. Predictable.

L. Wilkes, who I fundamentally disagree with on many levels, at least took
the time to think through some of the ramifications and raised some very
good points, making the key point that there is no way to win a permanent
and absolute victory "forever" without fundamentally changing who we are.

You might take a lesson from your countryman and try more thinking and less
sniping.

++Lar