 Off-Topic / Debate / 11309
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:28:43 GMT

The problem with the lion situation is that we are inferring our moral
values on it - I do not feel that they are compatible.

Sounds like you agree, then: animals are amoral. They do not have morals or
recognise rights the way that creatures with a developed reasoning system do.

No, it sounds like you are puuting words in my mouth.

Note that to be amoral if you are not capable of being moral is not bad, it
is not good, it just is. So no judgement of animals is intended by saying
that they are amoral.

On the other hand I am quite happy to pass judgement on amoral humans. To
wit: I find them not completely human.

You "pass judgement" on others too much. Who are you to infer your moral
values on others - judging them by your own standard? Do you assume you are
the role model they should aspire to?

Scott A