 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2311
Re: Question about quality of Best Lock...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:51:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Avery Christy wrote:
I am in the position to pick up a full pirate ship with a lot of pieces for only
$20.

But, it is a Best Lock brand set, and I am very wary of incorporating an unknown
clone brand in with my Legos.

I know for a fact that BTR and Oxford are absolutely awesome in their
compatability with Lego and have never failed me through thousands of pieces.

However, Tyco and Megablocks are terrible in the fact that those pieces are
pretty much random in how they connect, both with themselves and with Lego. I
won't be burnt by Megablocks again.

I'm surprised that you classify Tyco as terrible, since many people regard it as
the best of the clone brands.  In my view, Oxford, BTR, Qubo, Byggis, and Tyco
are all of excellent quality, on par with The Canonical Brand.

That being said, I do not want to be burnt by another piss poor quality clone
brand that fails to connect together to itself or to other brands.

So, is Best Lock any good? Or, should I stay far away from that brand?

"Good" is a subjective issue, but here are the basic facts:

Best-Lock bricks are 5/6X the height of LEGO bricks, and Best-Lock studs are
1.5X the height of LEGO studs.  In addition, Best-Lock bricks have no studs on
their undersides; they have a series of slots, for lack of a better term, to
lock into other bricks, and the clutch power is not nearly as good as LEGO.
Because of the height difference, it is tricky, though not impossible, to
incorporate Best-Lock into LEGO MOC's, and the stud-height difference prevents
LEGO plates from fitting atop Best-Lock elements.

The plastic of Best-Lock is more rigid than LEGO or MegaBloks, but the colors
are good and generally compatible with LEGO colors.

The best part about Best-Lock is the accessories, which fit nicely into LEGO
minifig hands.

Looking for help from my fellow AFOLs, Avery

In a nutshell, if you don't like MegaBloks, you'll like Best-Lock even less.
However, if you have any MegaBloks that you'd like to get rid of, send them to
me, and I promise that you'll never need to worry about them again.

Dave!