 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2234
Re: Pics of MB Probuilder Blackhawk?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:55:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Parsons wrote:
Anyone seen a pic of this online?

Having heard tell of this set hereabouts, I was keen to find out more about it.
We use the Command Ops Blackhawks in Brick Wars, which are fabulous, but somehow
unsatisfactory because they're so juniorised.

During my recent sojourn to the US I managed to turn up two of these at a
Walmart in Cleveland.

First off, they're not Blackhawks at all, they're Hueys (which is unspeakably
cooler), and they're fabulous.  I wouldn't have thought that it would be
possible to make a curvaceous helicopter at minifig scale all that well, but
this surely is.  Alright so its not quite minifig scale, but its well close
enough. The inventory is perfect for turning the set into an entirely
serviceable minifig scale Huey, complete with crew chief on the waist mounted
M60, and two pilots (admittedly only the torsos fit into the model, but you'd
never notice unless you took it apart.  I think the only pieces I used from
outside the set were 2 2x1 clear bricks, and I had a bunch left over.  I hope to
post pics tomorrow.

There are special pieces for the rotor blades, a new curved pipe piece with
plates on each end (4 of which attach the skids to the fuselage), and a new skid
piece (4 of which make the skids).  Other than that its all blocks!  The 4x2
plate with the single centre aligned set of 4 studs on top makes an appearance,
but I had seen this before in the F16.  I even like the colour.  Its a new dark
grey green which I had not encountered before.  I generally dislike new colours
in one model only, but this green is just so for this model - its part of makes
the set so flash.

There is so much grey in my collection that I'll probably knock out a grey
version.  There are some uncommon clear pieces (2x1 reverse slopes, 1x1s, and
one of the MB 4x2x2 vehicle windscreen pieces with the bowed out centre), so
I'll need to take those, rotors and skids across to the grey model, but its a
small price to pay for a naval variant ;-)

As I seem to have to say whenever I buy a ProBuilder model, Nice work MB.

Must write a note to MB in Australia asking them to bring the set out here.  I
could buy a few more of these...

Richard
Still baldly going...