 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1257
Re: Mech Pic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~drteeth1/clones/9519.jpg

It's great! What do you call this little guy?  Ed-209?

  Alas, it's simply the 9519 main model straight from the instructions.  I
made a small mistake and inverted the colors on the foot pieces--oops!  I
had to cheat and modify the colors in POV-Ray, but it looks like LDraw 495
works fairly well.  The chrome on the machine gun isn't supposed to be quite
so shiny, either, but I sort of like it as-is.

Any chance of a Dave! original variant?

  I have a few ideas in the works.  I hope to write a few more of the
Blok-Bot joint parts this weekend, and after that I'll see about putting an
actual original model together.  In the short term, I've used (and will be
releasing) a dumbed-down but functional version of the basic "male" part of
the click joint.  The real part involves a toothed disc that I've found
difficult to render.  My substitute part is badly oversimplified, but it has
the same dimensions and allows one at least to represent the joints
semi-accurately.  I also need to do the linetype 5 bits of the rounded joints.
  I'm confident that the folks at Ritvik had a meeting and said "there's a
guy down there in the States working on computer renderings of our
stuff--let's use a whole lot of weird curves just to mess with him."

And what the heck does Dr Teeth mean?

  My wife and I toured with The Electric Mayhem for a few years after Altamont.

  Well, actually she just likes that particular Muppet, so when it came time
to pick a user name for our Internet account...

  Thanks a bunch for the feedback!  Being a clone-fan is sometimes a lonely
business, so we zealots need to stick together!

     Dave!