 MediaWatch / 3170
Re: BrickLink will join the LEGO® Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2019 21:24:35 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, “Abner Finley” amf70@aol.com wrote:
   From BrickLink.com Nov. 26, 2019

BRICKLINK will join the LEGO Group

Dear BrickLink members,

We are extremely excited to announce that BrickLink Limited has entered into a definitive purchase agreement to be acquired by the LEGO Group. As the LEGO Group has announced today through its official press release, the transaction is expected to close by the end of 2019.

About 6 years ago when Jay took over BrickLink from Dan’s family, Jay promised to keep Dan’s legacy and continue to strive for his original mission – to help AFOL communities thrive. Our team is deeply grateful for Jay’s generous investment and our vibrant community’s enthusiastic support that helped us keep the promise. BrickLink now has nearly 1.2 million community members after quadrupling the initial 300,000 members who began the journey with us back in 2013. It’s not just volume that has grown over time. The overall engagement level of the community is higher than ever thanks to our avid members with various roles including catalog contributors, volunteers, big and small sellers, MOC designers, and set/minifig collectors.

Along the way, we also set an ambitious company vision – to unlock the true potential of LEGO bricks with the power of global communities. We believe in the creative power of AFOL communities and wanted to harness it with BrickLink. That’s why we launched AFOL-powered platforms and tools, such as MOC Shop (2014), Stud.io (2016), Studio 2.0 (2018), and piloted the first AFOL Designer Program (2018-2019) in addition to improvements on marketplace features.

Collaborating with the LEGO Group for the AFOL Designer Program taught us how much the LEGO Group cares about AFOL communities and how deeply they respect all of the creations and cultural heritage of adult LEGO fans. When two companies have perfectly aligned visions while filling in the missing parts of each other, it’s not too difficult to imagine how the collaboration will go. Once the potential synergy turned into reality with the success of the first AFOL Designer Program, we had no doubt that we were ready to take the collaboration to the next level. The LEGO Group’s acquisition of BrickLink was the best possible choice for us to secure future collaboration opportunities for AFOL communities.

So, what does this acquisition mean to you? It’s too soon to tell what exactly will happen at this point, but the direction is clear. The LEGO Group shares our ambition to create the best possible platform / experience for adult fans.

We understand that you might have more questions about the details of future changes. Please refer to these FAQs, and feel free to leave comments on this post. We also welcome any suggestions or cool ideas for future collaboration projects.

Visit Frequently Asked Questions

We’ll keep you posted when we have follow-ups or major milestones to announce. So, please stay tuned.

Thanks, BrickLink Team

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/community/newsview.page?msgid=1166622

Well, I’m on a ‘wait and see what happens’.

As I’m not a huge user of BL, but have purchased lots in the past, my opinion on this is pretty irrelevant.

I don’t have a store, wasn’t planning on opening a store, and haven’t purchased from BL recently (think the last BL order was over a year ago...)

That said, I’ve been around the LEGO internet community going way back, and I’m sad to see, (again like this very website), a fan-created and supported web ‘location’ that was fun and great to hang out in, and supported by the fan community at large, after many years just stops.

The mass exodus from LUGNET was one such event, but that was mostly driven by a variety of factors. The BL purchase by TLC is radically different--the largest fan-based and fan supported web site which was ‘arms length’ separated from TLC is now, well, not.

I love TLC. They’ve produced a product through my entire life that has been fundamentally integral to who I a and what I love. It’s been my chosen hobby my entire conscious life (with no ‘dark age). In my own small way, I’ve tried to support the company, and shown my appreciation by always presenting it in a good light.

I don’t think that’s going to change too much--I’m still going to do shows and such.

That said, for me anyway, what was more important than supporting the TLC corporation, was supporting the fans--my fellow AFOL’s as I could--the people--my friends... Those ‘who took a risk’ to try something on their own, or who gathered together, like minded, and built something substantial on their own. LUGNET and BL are the two biggest ‘web presence’ sites (for me), and I supported both as I could.

Now that BL isn’t a ‘fan base’ site anymore, will I change? Probably not too much as I use it infrequently. Certain stores made some pretty good coin off of my orders ‘back in the day’. That said, I never used any other site to purchase specific bricks due to my ‘devotion’ to BL and the fans that had stores there. I think I may have even posted here or on BL years ago when other sites were ripping off the BL platform (I vaguely recollect something).

But now that it’s a TLC entity, I hope they do well, and I’ll still look there to buy, but my ‘devotion’ will be less--not as a negative, but as a ‘I wonder what else is out there?’ should I need to ‘bulk buy’ classic pieces.

Anyway, these are initial thoughts and not conveyed clearly (as it’s not clear in my head yet)

All the best, BL and TLC. Business decisions were made, and I learned years ago (as my letters from LEGO’s legal department will attest), you can’t fight city hall, nor am I particularly want to do so in this instance.

Dave K