 MediaWatch / 3113
Subject:
LEGOLAND® Japan to open in 2017
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 07:10:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Merlin Announces plans for first LEGOLAND in Japan

June 30, 2014

LEGOLAND is about to become huge in Japan.

Merlin Entertainments, corporate owner of the LEGOLAND parks, announced it will open its first LEGOLAND in Japan, the world’s second-biggest market for theme parks. The new property will be built in the city of Nagoya. It will cost about 185 million pounds ($316 million), according to a Merlin news release. Japan will become the sixth country with a LEGOLAND park.

Here are more details from the news release:

The park will be opened under Merlin’s ‘operated and leased’ model, with the infrastructure of the park being funded by a third party. Merlin will directly invest about 53 million pounds in the park over the next 3 years and lease the balance of the assets from a company owned by KIRKBI Invest A/S (a subsidiary of KIRKBI A/S (‘KIRKBI’) a privately held investment and holding company with a 75% ownership share in the LEGO Group and a 29.9% shareholding in Merlin).

KIRKBI’s investment, which is separate to that of Merlin’s, will be funded through a combination of equity and external debt provided by Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC). Merlin’s investment is expected to deliver returns consistent with the Group’s stated pre-tax cash ROIC target of 20%.

“Today’s announcement is another major milestone in the development of the LEGOLAND brand,” Nick Varney, Merlin Entertainments Chief Executive Officer, said. “We are delighted to be working closely with the City of Nagoya and with KIRKBI on the project, both of whom appreciate the potential of the brand in the second biggest theme park market in the world.

“The park will make a significant contribution to the growth of the Merlin group from opening in the second quarter of 2017, as well as supporting our continued geographic diversification. Long term, we continue to believe that there is significant opportunity for the Legoland brand, with the potential for up to 20 parks across the world and we remain committed to our target of opening a new park every two to three years.”

Nagoya is ideally located in the center of Japan and is approximately two hours from Tokyo and one hour from Osaka, with independent market research suggesting a potential catchment area in excess of 20 million people. The park will be located on a site close to the port, with excellent road and rail links. The initial development will focus on the theme park, with potential options available for further park expansion and the development of on-site, themed accommodation over future periods.

LEGOLAND Japan will be of similar scale to the recently opened LEGOLAND parks in Malaysia and Florida and is expected to employ up to 1,000 staff in a variety of roles.