 MediaWatch / 3076
3075  |  3077
Subject:
LEGO® Model of the United Nation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:43:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

First ever official LEGO® Model of the UN completed by Ban Ki-moon

UN Secretary-General puts finishing touch to LEGO model of UN Headquarters

NEW YORK, Sept. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today added the last LEGO element to a large scale LEGO model of the United Nations’ Headquarters, as part of the UN Global Compact Leaders Summit focused on “Architects of a Better World.” The Leaders Summit is the flagship event of the world’s largest sustainability initiative, designed to bring business and civil societies together in support of UN goals.

The completion of the 1.65m tall model followed a series of exercises in which global CEOs used specially-designed creativity kits of LEGO bricks to build their vision of a stronger future for education, human rights and the environment. The Secretary-General finalized the UN model with the Chairman of the LEGO Foundation, Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, and Foundation CEO, Dr. Randa Grob-Zakhary by his side.

“Inspiring and helping children to develop is at the heart of everything the LEGO Foundation does,” said Mr. Kirk Kristiansen. “I’d like to thank the Secretary-General for all of his efforts to bring focus to the importance of global education and the value of quality learning experiences. Quality learning, like quality play, has an absolutely fundamental role in inspiring children and helping them to develop the vital skills that they need for today’s world.”

“Just as the UN is a symbol of how we can come together to try and build a better world, I hope that this model will serve as a symbol of the LEGO Foundation’s commitment to unlocking every child’s potential,” said Mr. Kirk Kristiansen.

Following the ceremony, the LEGO Foundation signed the UN Global Compact, a policy initiative that commits businesses to align their strategies and operations with 10 universally accepted principles.

“The UN Global Compact represents the LEGO Foundation’s shared ambition of ensuring that learning environments foster the creative and critical thinking skills needed to empower our builders of a better tomorrow, and we look forward to exploring with the UN ways of collaborating in reaching this mission,” said LEGO Foundation CEO, Dr. Randa Grob-Zakhary of the signing.

About LEGO Foundation

The LEGO Foundation, endowed by the LEGO Group’s founding family, is dedicated to inspiring and developing the builders of tomorrow. Its work is about changing the perception of play and increasing awareness about its transformational role in learning across our lifespan. Through redefining play and reimagining learning, the Foundation is demonstrating the link between play, creativity and learning in the eyes of thought leaders, influencers, educators and parents with a focus to equip, inspire and activate champions for play. Learn more at LEGOFoundation.

SOURCE LEGO Foundation

Prenewswire.com

Video of the event on: Chipchick.com

-end of report-