 MediaWatch / 2967
2966  |  2968
Subject:
7th Wonder... Errrr Discovery Center - Opening in Ontario, Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 13:29:09 GMT

Well, just as we knew, but LEGO "would neither confirm or deny"...

The star brings us the latest and greatest news for our little province..
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1185200--first-legoland-discovery-centre-in-canada-to-open-at-vaughan-mills-in-2013?bn=1

Or if you are too lazy to click, I "cut and pasted" from the May 24 Article...

Canada’s first Legoland Discovery Centre will open next spring at the Vaughan
Mills shopping centre.

Leisure giant Merlin Entertainments announced Thursday the $12-million centre
will be its first foray into Canada. Construction on the 34,000-square-foot site
will begin this summer.

The indoor mini-amusement park will feature Lego rides, classes from a Lego
master model builder and a 4D cinema where action is accompanied by wind, rain,
lightning and snow. Kids will be able to play with — and parents buy — the
blocks and accessories.

A “miniland exhibit” will feature landmark buildings from across the GTA and
Ontario. A contest will be held in the fall to find a local master builder to
design the exhibit.

The Lego models for Vaughan Mills will be made in Merlin studios around the
world and shipped to the mall north of Toronto during construction.

The centre is aimed at families with children aged 3 to 10. (Adults should be
accompanied by kids to get in.)

The addition is important to Vaughan Mills because it will “add to our
entertainment offering, broaden our tourism draw and ultimately enhance the
family experience,” said mall marketing director Jamie MacLean.

Similar centres have been successful in Europe and the U.S., said Glenn Earlam,
managing director of Merlin’s midway attractions operating group. “I know people
will love it here in Canada.”

Vaughan Mills was an ideal location for the British-based company’s first
attraction in Canada because the mall is popular with visitors and close to
downtown Toronto, 32 kilometres away. Also, many families with young children
live in the area.

It will be a great addition to the province’s attractions, said Tourism Minister
Michael Chan. “This is a great entertainment venue that will generate jobs and
growth.”

Indoor attractions are a key part of Merlin’s growth strategy. It has identified
two other potential sites in Canada for Legoland Discovery Centres — shopping
centres owned and operated by Ivanhoé Cambridge, which also owns Vaughan Mills.

There are currently seven Legoland Discovery Centres worldwide, in the United
States, Germany and England.

--------

This might Brickfete 2013 even more enticing for visitors father away... come do
Brickfete and the Discovery Center all in one visit!!!

Cheers,
Janey "Red Brick"