 MediaWatch / 2838
2837  |  2839
Subject:
CES 2011: Intel Shows Us the Digital Future of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:12:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

From CES 2011 in Las Vegas.

Intel Shows Us the Digital Future of LEGO

In this demo from CES 2011, an Intel rep shows us the coolest thing to happen to LEGO toys since tiny rubber wheels.

What you’ll see in this video is a blurring of the line between real and virtual toys, as digital enhancements change the way we might play with LEGO.

Research scientists at Intel’s lab in Seattle have figured out how to use 3-D image recognition software to create new, virtual play spaces and actions for physical LEGO toys, as well as physical gestures. You can set a LEGO house on “fire” with a LEGO dragon, or you can watch tiny passengers board a LEGO train for its journey around a virtual track.

We’re sure this type of image and gestural recognition would work with non-LEGO toys as well; toy franchises from My Little Pony to G.I. Joe could benefit hugely from these kinds of enhancements.

But for now, these toys are still very much in research stages. Intel built and runs the programs on Gentoo (a Linux distro) with an Intel Core i7 processor.

Check out the video below and let us know what you think. Is this a cool new way to play — something that might soon make its way to a mass market? Or do you think that toys like these might erode what’s left of our youngsters’ imaginations?

Mashable Video: Youtube

Source: Mashable.com

-end of report-