 MediaWatch / 2803
Re: LEGO Group and Disney Consumer Products Announce Building Sets Inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:14:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.mediawatch, John P. Henderson wrote:
   In lugnet.disney, Abner Finley wrote:
   LEGO Group and Disney Consumer Products Announce Building Sets Inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean Films

(snip)

A) I don’t like “corporate speak” where executives use ridiculously long run on sentences to make their “mission statement” sound Biblically important.

B) On topic: I’m torn about this announcement. On one hand, I am not a fan of the licensed Lego products. IMO, they limit the imaginary story and characters, and thus influence creative building. Star Wars, though a movie series that I love, is no exception, and I would much rather see Lego produce more “generic” space themed sets. For PIRATES, my feelings are similar - I fear that a licensed POTC theme would limit some creative potential.

However, I say “torn” because I’ve always felt that Lego could offer so much more in the Pirate theme, and perhaps this license deal is the boost the theme needs. The most recent Pirate series had a great start and several good sets, but then it kind of fizzled with nothing new beyond the first small selection of offerings (the giant Imperial Flagship being the exception). A theme like this needs “support” by way of new sets being offered from time to time. A child might have fun with a pirate ship, but the play gets stale if there is no merchant ship to plunder, and no navy ship to escape. And if you look at the different sail configurations and types of ships of the era, there is no shortage of inspiration to offer more variety. And then there can be more offerings of the land variety too... But I digress. My point is that a licensed POTC theme could spark new interest in the Pirate theme and it could offer sets and elements useful to fans of it.

So I guess I’m in the “wait and see” camp.

This rambling brought to you by...
-Hendo

Hey Hendo! Long time no see.

I think your points are valid for the main market (kids)... but for us, all sets are parts, and fodder for our own creations. So if this means more parts of certain kinds I’m pleased at the prospect. The problem of course is that licensed sets drive up cost per part.

Still I think it will be interesting to see if this theme has legs or not.