 MediaWatch / 2733
2732  |  2734
Subject:
About LEGO Designer Jamie Berard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:44:10 GMT

Translate from Danish to English from Danish Business.DK website. April 2010.

About LEGO Designer Jamie Berard

“I’m probably a bit of a LEGO geek”

He is bitten by a mad LEGO brick. American Jamie Berard live his LEGO dream completely, moved to Billund and develop new models of LEGO. The story of Jamie Berard is the story of a man who pursued his dream, train ride from the driver in Disney World and to Billund and now living on his passion.

From outside the small two-bedroom apartment just one of many that are on the strip in the anonymous storey property in Billund. Door Signs tells us that live here Jamie Berard. Certainly a name that sticks out slightly in Jutland, Billund, but nevertheless a relatively common American name.

Otherwise, revealing nothing behind the door to the resident affected by the LEGO bacillus in a degree, so it almost looks like an obsession. That impression changed abruptly as soon as the door opens. So it is clear, sparkling clear that Jamie Berard is more than just another one of the millions of LEGO fans who found the world over.

Because even if the apartment with her two rooms are not large, so live Jamie Berard actually just in one room. The second room is devoted to Jamie’s dearest possession; LEGO bricks. And there are pads everywhere.

And we are not talking just a few boxes of bricks. We are talking thousands and thousands of bricks that fills the room in the apartment. The walls are covered with bookshelves, which again is full of LEGO and on floors, in window sills - indeed everywhere, the room filled with boxes of LEGO, finished models - old and new in a large mixing.

“I know that it is strange. Most shakes indeed upside down when I tell it, but I have so filled my one room with LEGO. I took all my own models and all my old blocks from home.” says Jamie Berard, who today works as a designer and developer of LEGO.

“I have bricks from 1950. Sometimes we sit and work on new models of LEGO, and it happens that I have to home and retrieve specific blocks, which I have in the apartment, but which is so rare that the company did not even have them anymore.” says Jamie Berard who is 34 years old and has lived in Billund, Denmark since 2007.

When Jamie Berard speaks of ‘home’, so we talk Boston, Massachusetts, USA. Very far from Manchester, in all ways.

Nevertheless, it is in Billund, that Jamie Berard now has his home and his work. Jamie Berard has passion for livelihood, let LEGO bacillus root in working life.

Like being in heaven “For me it’s a bit like being in heaven. To have the opportunity to work in LEGO when building LEGO is of course the best, I know it’s pretty wild.” says Jamie Berard.

Jamie Berard was taken out of LEGO when he was just four years. A box of LEGO in the gift was the beginning of something which, seen from the outside, resembles something of an obsession.

“I was captured by LEGO immediately, and it became more and more interesting. When I got off from school, I sped home to build LEGO, and when I got in high school, was LEGO almost the only thing I went up in. I’m interested me not really for girls and cars would actually prefer home and LEGO building if I could.” says Jamie Berard, with a wry grin.

While some parents might be worried when their child disappeared completely into the LEGO world, so Jamie’s parents supported him all the way in LEGO building.

“I’ve never experienced that my parents or my friends so crooked that I loved to build LEGO. On the contrary, my parents encouraged me to cultivate my interest. But when I got in college, was it a shocking experience for a girl, I am dating when she saw my LEGO collection.” says Jamie Berard, who now lives alone in Billund.

At a very young Jamie Berard began to dream of making LEGO for a livelihood. But the road was long and great resistance.

“I was once asked, what I wanted to do when I grew up, and I remember that I replied that I would either build roller coasters or work for LEGO. The response from my supervisor was that it was impossible.” says Jamie Berard. Instead ended Jamie Berard after college at an engineering college, he did two years but then got the patience up. Resistance or not and regardless of whether the prospects were impossible to spot, he had on - and ideally with LEGO.

“School of Engineering was not right for me, so I left school, traveled to Florida, where I came from Disney. Here I drove monorailtog a day and worked with the park no ears at night. Later I turned, however, back to school and ended up taking a degree in English.” says Jamie Berard.

Business.DK

-end of report