 MediaWatch / 1993
Re: Update On Bill Swanberg - Indicted by Grand Jury
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:57:03 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
Looks like Bill is one step closer to making new friends in cellblock C. And
This time Bricklink made the story.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_112405_news_lego_thefts.8194e7b.html

RENO, Nev. -- A 40-year-old man has been arrested for stealing Legos from
several Target stores in Oregon.

William Swanberg was indicted on Thanksgiving Day by a Washington County grand
jury on theft charges.

Also Thursday, agents of the U.S. Postal Inspector served a search warrant at
Swanberg's home in Reno, Nevada. To haul away the evidence, the agents were
forced to rent a 20-foot truck.

Police say Swanberg had been selling the stolen Legos on a Web site called
Bricklink. The site is similar to E-Bay -- except it's only for Legos.

According to investigators, Swanberg has sold nearly $600,000 worth of Legos in
the last three years.

Target Stores in Oregon estimate they lost at least $200,000 to Swanberg.

He was also selling items on E-Bay, but detectives have not yet come up with an
amount for the E-Bay sales.

He's being held in the Washington County Jail on a $250,000 bail.

Am I the only person that flinches every time the media uses the term "Legos" in
print?  *sigh*