 Marketplace / Shipping / 385
Re: WOW ~ #1593 Classic Space ~ It's here!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:10:53 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, John York writes:
First let me say, Thanks! I don't think many of us here at lugnet like to brag
(too much!) about the stuff we have. Most of us just love Lego, so we're
willing to make some strange sacrifices in order to get more. Unfortunately for
me, I had to cough up about twice what I wanted to pay to get that awesome set.
Early on in the auction I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to bid on
it...afterall, like you said, over $1000 for one Lego set seems rediculous to
me as well. Then I talked about it with my girlfriend and decided that it was
probably a once in a lifetime chance to get such a rare set. I beat the other
guy by $10 in the end...phew! At that point I don't think I would have been
horribly upset to lose...$2000 can go a long way for other things. For now,
I've viewing this as an investment, since I've already had several offers to
buy it from me. I'm not planning on selling it, but things change...I'm in an
apartment right now and I'd love to get a house in the next couple years...

My sealed space collection is nearly complete now, so I've decided to quit
spending as much money on ebay until I get the 1593 completely paid off.

Anyway, I'm sure Dave Lovelace will have a few thoughts to contribute as to the
rarity of this set...Dave?

Later,
John

Class...pure class!  I'm thoroughly impressed with what you have to say.
You're exactly right, though, on the theory of getting Lego.  MOST of us
just love Lego.  I'm not a space collector (I'm a Town collector) but I
think everyone one of us knows how rare this set is and to have the set MISB
is something that comes up once in a GREAT while.  Had I been just a space
collector I would have done the same thing you did.

I said it before and I'll say it again...I'm glad that you're the one who
got it!  I think it's a set that can be used as an example for the ultimate
Lego set.  I think you'd be crazy to ever sell it.  :-)  Just my opinion though!

Take care!

Brendan
Duck360198@aol.com