 Marketplace / Services / 453
Re: Paypal's security certifica has expired
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:20:09 GMT

You don't actually need a certificate to have a secure server. as long as
you see a https in the header and the little padlock in the bottom bar you
are on a secure site. IIRC all the certificate does is shows the owner of
the site is who they say they are. If its a site like paypal where you know
who they are and what they do, I wouldn't worry even if their certificate
has expired (which it hasn't)
Dont think browsers cache ssl pages so it wouldn't be that
--
James Stacey
---------
www.minifig.co.uk
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado

"M. Moolhuysen" <moom@nospam-chello.nl> wrote in message
Hello all,

When I tried to use Paypal today, a "Security Alert" dialoge box popped • up,
displaying the following message:

"The internet site you are about to view uses a certificate that has • expired
or is not yet valid. Do you wish to proceed?"

Clicking the "View Certificate" button revealed that their certificate
issued to them by VeriSign Trust Network indeed has expired on 3/12/04
11:59:59 PM.
How bad is this? Should I wait with payments until their certificate is
valid again? Has someone of our comunity reported this to Paypal already?

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.