 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17749
17748  |  17750
Subject:
Selling Old MAERSK Ship Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 07:39:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Last year I offered this Maersk Ship, and sold 10 of them. This year I am repeating the offer, since I had leftover Maersk blue parts (unfortunately I bought so many Maersk parts on BrickLink that the price of many of the 71 Maersk parts in the ship have doubled and even tripled in price). There are about $40 worth of mint Maersk blue parts, including 11 Maersk blue parts never found in any LEGO set.....

Most of you know that Maersk is the Danish transportation company that commissioned TLG to produce several truck and ship models since 1974.

The most famous Maersk LEGO models are the 2 Maersk LEGO ships. The first was the extremely expensive 1974 released #1650 Maersk Line Container Ship that has sold on EBAY recently for up to $3000 in MISB (YIKES!!)

The 2nd famous Maersk LEGO model was 10152 Maersk Sealand Container Ship of 2004-2006.

There was a much earlier 3rd Maersk ship that TLG made... the Regina Maersk. Unfortunately there were 3 stikes against this model.... 1) it was only made as a glued model (using regular blue bricks) for LEGO retailers from 1959-61, 2) it was made of Cellulose Acetate, so surviving models would have a lot of warped LEGO elements, and 3) there are no known survivors of this LEGO model... in nearly 10 years of searching on EBAY (USA and Europe), I have never seen this one come up for sale.

So last year I decided to research and build the 1959 Regina Maersk (LEGO model #0751). I am repeating this offer again this year.

The original real (non-LEGO) ship was built in the shipyards of Odense Denmark in 1954, and launched in 1955. It was the first ever Maersk Line ship that had a Maersk blue hull, a trademark of all Maersk ships today.

The 1959-61 LEGO Regina Maersk Ship #0751 was built with regular blue bricks, and virtually no specialty LEGO elements (they didn’t exist in 1959).

So what I have done is study the 1959 LEGO retailer catalog model as well as other images of it, and rebuilt this ship using Maersk blue LEGO elements (first introduced in 1974), as well as a few sloped and inverse sloped bricks (not available in 1959) and real LEGO Maersk stickers... and (new this year) a pair of 1x10 white bricks with “REGINA MAERSK” beautifully embossed onto it.

The ship is a full 2 ft. (60 cm) long (when assembled), and here it is seen next to the smaller (and very costly) #1650 Maersk Line Container Ship of 1974:

This model will come with 6 color pages of building instructions, a colorful “Contents List” itemizing all 270 parts (including 71 rare Maersk blue parts).

Also included are a complimentary image copy of the 1959-60 Retailer Catalog page showing the original model, and a complimentary image copy of the original 1959-60 retailer ordering form.

Also included will be 10 mint classic 1x1x1 white windows. An option that I didn’t offer last year was the use of the square back openings of 10 1x1x1 headlight bricks (instead of the classic 1x1x1 white windows), which will allow me to drop $10 off the price.

I only have enough parts left to build a few more REGINA MAERSK Ships!

The price is $99 (or $89 if you want headlight bricks instead of 1x1 windows), shipping will be $10 USA/Canada, $17 for the rest of world.

Also included will be a complimentary copy of my 2,200 page Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-80s) on CD Version 3.0... (a $26.95 value) which has the images of the entire old 1959 retailer catalog that the Regina Maersk retailer model ship came in. Also this REGINA MAERSK model is found pictured in the Table of Contents.

Also, anyone who wants this ship and complimentary LEGO Guide, I am also including a #455 LEAR JET parts (original mint parts and sticker sheet), OR.... a valuable #1119 STEAM PISTON Service Pack (for building a Thatcher Perkins Locomotive or a #725/#726 12V Train).

Ironically the #455 Lear Jet was ONLY sold in USA/Canada in the mid 1970’s, and the #1119 Steam Piston pack was ONLY sold in Europe and Australia in the late 70’s and early 80’s).

If you want to order this and get the freebie #455 or #1119 (a $25 plus value), you can Paypal me at: istokg@earthlink.net. (Don’t worry, I won’t skip town! :-D)

Since that’s my EMAIL address also, send any inquiries to that EMAIL address. Don’t worry about Spamblocker.

Also,

Here’s a pic of the original 1959 LEGO retailer catalog image of the model (I use the positioning of the smoke stacks differently, but that can be changed):

This model is MUCH NICER in Maersk blue than regular blue!!

So in total, you get the beautiful REGINA MAERSK Ship, 4 colorful documents, a $26.95 value LEGO Collectors Guide... and either a mint #455 Lear Jet (no box or instructions) or a #1119 Steam Piston pack (value $25)... all for $99 (or $89 if you want the substitute windows).

Only a few available....

Cheers, Gary Istok