 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 14096
Re: Solid Aluminum 2x4 Bricks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:47:50 GMT

But it would hardly be original to turn out pitchforks, or similar things.
In that area I say, design your own. Bianca Nebab and Kyle Petersen for
instance made custom helmets.

There was a great deal of original design in the Intelliblocks line
(alongside starkly basic brick and plate) but then there was that goofy
lance. They took the Lego lance (introduced in 1979) and put a hook on the
end. If this wasn't a ripoff, I don't know what is, because the piece was
non-functional as well. Its only reason for being seems that the pirate
lance mold was on hand already, and the budget controller said "do it, and
stick a hook on it."

If you do a little research, you'll find Lego have gone wild patenting all
these minifig type elements since 1997.

Back on the 2x4. If I were making one today, I'd give some more thought to
the dimensions. First of all it's a deviation from the unit building block
of 1879 with integer dimensions.[1] Was it technological reasons that
existed in 1949? Did Lego ever make the common unit block in wood?

The Lego 2x4x1.2 exists (I think) to allow 1/3 plates, and clearance for
studs (why do you think slopes have a rectangular plate for a base.) It
involves interference force as well with the wacky stud height (5/80"). More
amazing the more you look into it, but, rife with alternate possibilities.

There's a great deal to recommend Bram's aluminum brick - I bought two of
them, just enough to play with. Aside from the tubes (an original solution
to a difficulty in milling) it's still homage or a curiosity; I can't
imagine it being a building medium.

-Erik

[1]
attributed to Caroline Pratt. Also Froebel unit blocks.
Check out The Block Book, reviewed in these threads:
http://news.lugnet.com/books/?n=170
http://news.lugnet.com/mediawatch/?n=582
http://news.lugnet.com/books/?n=172