 Marketplace / Auctions / 7487
7486  |  7488
Subject:
Help Needed with Quick ebay Test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:28:55 GMT

[FUT lugnet.off-topic.geek so I don't clutter .auction]

G'day folks,

As you've probably read I've been having problems with
search result data on ebay.  Well I've just now determined
that the "problem" is being done deliberately by ebay.
In their code that generates search results, they have
included a directive that forces browsers to use cached
data on future identical searches, until a certain
pre-determined expiry date has elapsed.  (They are
using the meta tag "EXPIRES" to do this.)  I do not know
where this cached data is pulling from, I only know
where it ends up appearing on my machine on subsequent
searches.  I have asked ebay to investigate this.

In the mean-time I hope some of you will be willing to
do this quick test for me:

1)  Go to http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/search.html

2)  Execute a search for something.

3)  On the results page, scroll to the bottom and note
where it says "Last updated...".

4)  Wait some amount of time, at least a few minutes.

5)  Repeat steps 1 to 3, using the *exact* same search
terms/settings.  See if the date/time have updated.

6)  Force your browser to reload the page.  Is there
any change?

(Remaining steps optional, but very helpful)
7)  Use the menus in your browser to delete all temporary
or cache files (or do it manually).

8)  Repeat steps 5 and 6.  Any change?

Just post the results in reply to this message.
Indicate which browser and version you are using.  In my
case it's MSIE 5.01.  Also indicate how you connect
to the internet (modem dial-up, DSL, Cable, network,
telepathy, whatever).

Thanx for all your help!
KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada