 Local / United States / Texas / *541 (-5)
Subject:
TexLUG Houston Meeting April 22, 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:10:47 GMT

Howdy!

TexLUG Houston will be having a meeting this Saturday the 22nd of April.  Feel
free to come on by and have some fun!

Who: TexLUG Houston
What: General Meeting
When: Saturday, April 22, 2006
Where:
  19525 Wied Road, Suite #106.
  Spring, TX 77379
Why: Why not?
Time: Setup - 11 AM.  Start - 1 PM.  End - Cook it 'till it's done.
Phone: 281-651-7747

See you there!

--Anthony

Subject:
TexLUG Austin robotic line-following contest 6/11/06
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 01:59:40 GMT

Folks,

The Austin chapter of the Texas Lego Users Group
(TexLUG) is holding a robotic line following contest
on June 11, 2006.

In this line following contest, robots attempt to
complete a specified race course by following
a black line on a white background.  The robot
completing three laps of the course in the shortest
time is the winner.

There will be two age groups for the competition,
under 13 years old, and 13 years and up.

Complete rules may be found here:

  http://www.io.com/~rueger/lego/texlugaustin/line2006/

as well as helpful links to other line following
robots.

-Tim

Subject:
TexLUG Austin meeting Sunday 4/9
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 02:33:55 GMT

All,

The next Austin TexLUG meeting will be this coming
Sunday, April 9.  Come on out and show off what
you've been working on!

If you have questions about Mindstorms NXT, come
by and we'll see if we can help you with the
answers.  (The library's wifi is A Nice Thing.)

See you there!

-Tim

Date: The second Sunday every month (next meeting 4/9/06).
Time: 2:30pm-5:30pm
Location:
     Austin Public Library, Little Walnut Creek Branch
     835 W. Rundberg Ln.
     Austin, TX 78758
     (Just west of the Lamar/Rundberg intersection)
Phone: (512) 836-8975
(has map link)

Come on out and join in the fun!

Subject:
TexLUG Austin 3/12 meeting report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:57:19 GMT

Folks,

Attending the 3/12 TexLUG Austin meeting were:

  Louis Davis
  Lee Rahe
  Tim Rueger
  Ed Southerland

Ed brought a few more of his custom minifigs, but most
of his MOCs were really nice xpod-based spaceships.  I
really liked his stylings in various space themes,
including Blacktron, M:Tron, Ice Planet 2002, Spyrius,
and Life on Mars.

Lee proudly showed off some excellent-condition pieces
from his recent vintage Lego acquisitions.  I, for one,
was very impressed with the details that Lego's
injection molding was achieving in the late 50's and
early 60's.

Louis was a first-time attendee; he got a Mindstorms kit
around Christmas, and was looking for help and ideas on
what to do with it.

On that note, I showed a simple line following robot
from Jonathan Knudsen's O'Reilly Mindstorms book to
demonstrate an upcoming line-following robotics contest.
Look for rules and schedules to be posted in the next
week.

Adminstrivia: I'd mentioned to a few folks that the
Little Walnut Creek library was scheduled to be closed
for remodeling in May 2006.  However, the remodeling has
been delayed some months, so I'm working on extending
our 2nd-Sunday meeting slot reservation there for as
long as possible.

Please keep in mind that we will eventually have to find
a new place to meet.  If you have any good suggestions,
please pass them along (either to the list or by private
email).

Play well,
-Tim

Brickshelf gallery:

Lee, Louis, and Ed:

Ed's MOCs:

Lee's vintage Lego:

Jonathan Knudsen's simple line following robot:

  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lmstorms/

Subject:
TexLUG Austin meeting Sunday 3/12
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 03:28:01 GMT

All,

The next Austin TexLUG meeting will be this Sunday,
March 12.  It's been a few months since we've
gotten together, so come on out and show off what
you've been working on!

I'll be shortly announcing and posting rules for
a line following and maze solving robotics
contest, just to keep y'all sharp while we await
Mindstorms NXT.  Look for a demo at the meeting.

I'll also be bringing the mountains that I
provided for the recent display in San Antonio,
along with my photos from the event.

See you there!

-Tim

Date: The second Sunday every month (next meeting 3/12/06).
Time: 2:30pm-5:30pm
Location:
     Austin Public Library, Little Walnut Creek Branch
     835 W. Rundberg Ln.
     Austin, TX 78758
     (Just west of the Lamar/Rundberg intersection)
Phone: (512) 836-8975
(has map link)

Come on out and join in the fun!

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact