 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 155
154  |  156
Subject:
NELUG display at RI Cooks Convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:11:25 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This past weekend, the New England Lego User’s Group displayed a 10’x30’ train display at the RI Cooks convention in Providence. We were also accompnaied by a pair of RI First Lego League teams who are preparing for competition this coming January.

We started setup on Friday morning, all set to make a square 20’x20’ layout. Then we had to completely change on the fly, as we discovered the real dimensions were 10’x30’+. Plenty of room for our MOCs, but we were challenged to make the layout without Track Designer, just using our heads!

After solving that problem, we got down to enjoying the show. And the spirits! This show was a bit different then our typical fare, with booths filled with food and wine to taste. At the end of the weekend, we were all fairly used to eating in small dixie cup sized portions!

Several of the members were excited to have a show in Southern New England, finally. Jamie barely knew what to do with himself after his grueling 15 minute ride. With this shorter drive to shows, I think the pressure is on Wayne to actually build something for the next show down here! We also got to meet Richard Legault, who has been lurking for some time, and just needed us to get closer to Newport for him to come out.

Finally, we met some middle school students who were very excited to display their latest robotic creations. Tom Kowalczyk and his crack team of FLL kids were hard at work designing solutions to the last few challenges before thier state competition on January 15th. Tom is looking for some good judges, if any New Englanders are interested. (Seems like there should be a lugnet.robotics.fll group, no? Maybe someday.)

Photographic highlights of the event:

Eric Kingsley brought his massive new tower/train station:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/02.jpg

Speed train:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/03.jpg

There was wine at this show:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/08.jpg

Liscence & Registration, Sir:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/07.jpg

Uhauls do break down:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/12.jpg

First Lego League kids show off:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/18fll.jpg

Thanks to everyone who came and helped out, even if it was just to clean up, or bring a MOC! We had a lot of fun. Hopefully, we can do more shows down here in SE New England.

-Alfred