 Local / United States / New Jersey / 276
Re: Board to LIVE - Skate Board Art Show - Benefit Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.nj
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:56:02 GMT

In lugnet.events, Eric Sophie wrote:
   Board to LIVE - Skate Board Art Show - Benefit for the March of Dimes.ÂÂ

During the month of June 2009 I worked with legendary local Tattoo Artist:ÂÂ
RULER to curate a Skate Board Art Show. The blank skate decks were donatedÂÂ
by 9 Lives Skate Shop. More than 30 Artists created Skate Board Art using aÂÂ
variety of methods.ÂÂ

Including meeeee, I used LEGO:ÂÂ

Forgive the level of quality in the photo!ÂÂ

I started with a blank deck and I began using 3L Technic Pins to attach aÂÂ
layer of plates to the board via the bolt holes for the skate trucks.ÂÂ

At first I was going to glue the plates to the board, but that would haveÂÂ
been so permanent, then I found the measurements between the mounting pointsÂÂ
lined up with plate distances. So I was able to do with out glue and justÂÂ
used technic pins and plates.ÂÂ

At first I used parts that I didn’t mind giving away, so the design wasÂÂ
admittedly a little limited.ÂÂ

The show was a success, I helped book bands and Hip-Hop acts, plus I installed all 38 Skate Boards.ÂÂ

Everyone did great!ÂÂ

Enjoy!ÂÂ

Eric SophieÂÂ
LegomasterÂÂ
Biomechanical BricksÂÂ

As a skateboarder myself, I have to say that this is (insert expletive here) awesome! Great work on this board Eric. Skateboard art has always been interesting to me and I almost feel like half my addiction to various ‘board sports’ was due to the amazing artwork that always found its way onto the bottom of boards. As a kid I even had the delusion I might someday create artwork worthy of the bottom of a board. You may have inspired me to at least give some thought to ‘LEGO-ing’ up the blank deck I have at home. :-) You have certainly created something amazing here that crosses genres and social circles and showcases LEGO to a whole new group of people. Way to go!

Stay fresh my friend...stay fresh...

-Dave