 Local / United States / Minnesota / Minneapolis/St. Paul / 239
Off-Topic: Minneapolis neighborhoods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:38:41 GMT

Hi all,

I'm trying to gather some information about one of the "bad" neighborhoods in
town and I have fairly limited access to natives of the area.  I don't know how
tolerant you are of off-topic threads in this group, so please feel free to
email me directly if you have any useful info.

I'm looking at a building in the Whittier neighborhood (on the corner of
Pillsbury and 27th -- between Lake of the Isles and 35W).  The real estate agent
is attempting to dissuade us from the neighborhood because it's bad (unsafe).

Essentially, my question to you is, "is it really?"  How bad is it?

According to the crime stats, it appears to be pretty unlikely that I'd be
murdered but that theft is alarmingly common.  The bit that I can't get at
online is how does it feel?  Are there large groups of malcontent youths
standing around looking for trouble?  That kind of thing.  If anyone has any
experience in the area, I'd be much obliged at a bit of an info/opinion dump.

Thanks in advance from your soon to be neighbor,

Chris