 Local / United States / California / Coachella Valley / * (-5)
Subject:
Robolab
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.cva
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 15:00:48 GMT

FYI. The Gerald Ford School Lego Lab and Robotics Center has begun using the
Dacta Robolab Amusement Park set.  I'm impressed with the quality of the
software.  It is more stable and apparently more powerful than the stuff that
comes with the commercial LMS kit.
--
Bruce Rhodewalt     aka kahuna@tikipub.com
Tiki Publishing: Creative Internet solutions since 1995

Re: Limitations in RCX language
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.cva
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:55:09 GMT

Is there a web site?

Ben Erwin wrote:

ROBOLAB is the educational software for the RCX, that lets you do variables,
nested loops, etc. while still maintaining an easy graphical interface for
kids.  It was programmed in LabVIEW 5.  1-800-362-4308 for more information.

-Ben

Bruce Rhodewalt writes:
Okay, I'm not nuts.  But why haven't I found any other complaints about this?
Nothing in the FAQ or any newsgroups.  I fully expected adults to want to move
beyond the interface, and to be capable of it, but what about kids?  Are there
just not that many children with LMS so far?  I was really excited about • getting
my kids' hands on some programming, but it's a bad situation when an • 11-year-old
can bump into a wall on her first day.

Here's waiting for v1.5.

Bruce

Bruce Rhodewalt wrote:

Maybe I'm nuts.  There seem to be some limitations in this RIS system....

My daughter (11) and I immediately ran into a 15-block limit in the RCX • coding
environment.  On further inspection, we find we can extend this using My
Commands, Sensor Watchers and Stack Controllers.  However, my daughter is • just
getting started and would like some room to stretch out and write a series • of
instructions.  Any ideas.

Second, I find that My Commands can't be place in other My Commands.  (You
can't call a procedure from another procedure.)

Third, you can't place a Stack Controller inside a Stack.  That is, you • can't
nest loops.

We see this on both Windows 98 and Windows NT 5.  Do we have to install • Windows
95 to see the full functionality of this programming environment?

Thanks to all.

Bruce‰

--
Bruce Rhodewalt     aka kahuna@tikipub.com
Tiki Publishing: Creative Internet solutions since 1995
74-040 Highway 111, Suite JJ3, Palm Desert, CA 92260
PGP: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xADFDEB91

--
Bruce Rhodewalt     aka kahuna@tikipub.com
Tiki Publishing: Creative Internet solutions since 1995
74-040 Highway 111, Suite JJ3, Palm Desert, CA 92260
PGP: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xADFDEB91

Re: Limitations in RCX language
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.cva
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:39:40 GMT

Bruce Rhodewalt wrote:

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.cva
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:54:06 GMT

Bruce Rhodewalt wrote:

[...]

Subject:
Limitations in RCX language
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.cva
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 14:16:47 GMT

Maybe I'm nuts.  There seem to be some limitations in this RIS system....

My daughter (11) and I immediately ran into a 15-block limit in the RCX coding
environment.  On further inspection, we find we can extend this using My
Commands, Sensor Watchers and Stack Controllers.  However, my daughter is just
getting started and would like some room to stretch out and write a series of
instructions.  Any ideas.

Second, I find that My Commands can't be place in other My Commands.  (You
can't call a procedure from another procedure.)

Third, you can't place a Stack Controller inside a Stack.  That is, you can't
nest loops.

We see this on both Windows 98 and Windows NT 5.  Do we have to install Windows
95 to see the full functionality of this programming environment?

Thanks to all.

Bruce‰

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact