 Local / United Kingdom / 6544
Sopwith Camel: Model Team by any other name...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 19:57:06 GMT

It arrived today, in typical monochrome 'scuplture' box.

The instructions are traditional 3 dimensional drawings (on lower than
normal quality paper) and there is no cover photograph.
I have built it already, and without doubt this is a 'Model Team' set:
Technic parts to add function and slopes and curved bits to add form.

As far as I can tell (and I am not an expert anymore) there is only one new
piece, and I suspect it will turn up sooner or later in Technic sets (if it
hasn't already): A 6x4x1 version of the 4x4x1 square technic 'beam' with
holes in the 4 sides and 2x2 hole in the middle (used in the UCS Tie and a
lot of other places recently). There are, however, loads of parts in new
colours, mostly brown.

It went together pretty well, although the bottom wings are a bit flimsy and
kept falling off during construction. I'm still not convinced they are
particularly robust even when complete. A couple of plates on the underside
may be in order.

The 'strings' between the wings look excellent, although on mine they are
not stretched tight. It may be possible to sort this out: I'll have a go
later.

The wings also droop slightly under their own weight, which I suppose is
prototypical.

Dimension wise, it has a 45cm wingspan and is about 40cm in length.

Price-wise it would seem like a good buy. I think I saw someone else compare
it on a price per piece basis -- it works out at about 6p a piece, whereas
10 or 11p seem the norm for 'shop' sets, particularly Star Wars.

In short, go online and order one...
Huw