 Local / United Kingdom / 2308
Re: This dropped out of the papers this weekend...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:48:03 GMT

In my "extended family" we opened gifts at different times:

On Christmas Eve, the family had a big get-together and exchanged gifts
"family-to-family, person-to-person."  As much of the family as possible was
together for Christmas Eve, this included Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles,
Cousins, etc.  The location moved from year to year.

On Christmas morning, we had the gifts around the tree from Santa and within
our family.

On the week between Christmas and New Years we would visit or be visited by
the family that couldn't make it to the Christmas Eve get-together (or the
other side of the family tree, just depended on who was the host of the
Christmas Eve get-together).

I'd say it varies as much by family as it does by location.

Mike
--
Mike Faunce
mike at faunce dot com

Jonathan Little <piano254@aol.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.uk, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"G. Benedikt Rochow" <rochogb@eng.auburn.removethis.edu> writes:

How about, say, Denmark? :)

In Norway, we always open the presents after the Christmas dinner on the
24th of December, typically around 18-20.  (That's 6-8pm.)  We normally
have to wait until the dishes are done, too, but I have a feeling that
this is done to have the kids join in to wash up!

I'm not totally sure, of course, but I would think that this applies to
Denmark as well.

Fredrik

In the United States, it seems that most people wait until Christmas • morning. I
know I always did. It was a matter of forcing yourself to go to sleep at • night
and trying not to wake up too early, because you knew that your parents
wouldn't get up as early as you wanted to. I don't know how many mornings • I
woke up at 5, completely convinced that it was OK because the sun was • rising,
and my parents weren't overly thrilled.
  Now my girlfriend, who is originally from Guatemala, opens her gifts
Christmas eve. It makes it very easy on the two of us, as far as visiting
families and such. I've noticed, from this post, that the majority of • countries
open gifts Christmas eve . . .. hmmmm . . . interesting.
-Jonathan