 Local / Israel / 124
Re: time to get what we want
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.il, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:48:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.il, Shiri writes:
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there's not much chance of letters like
that helping. I had a chance to talk to a LEGO employee who, IIRC, is pretty
high in the marketing heirarchy, at Brickfest 2001. Her name is Peggy
Connelly (I hope I got her name spelled right), and she explained to me that
the chances of LEGO shipping to Israel are practically zero, because of the
high MECHES (import taxes) and the small market. She was not just talking
about a small AFOL market, but a small children's market, which evidently
they have their sources to check this. I mentioned to her that, very
possibly, not many Israelis buy LEGO since it is so expensive in Israel. She
acknowledged that, but stayed in her position.

Isn't there nothing we can do to convince them otherwise? At the start there
were less countries that shop@home did shipping and only a while ago they
added countries like Australia, France and some others, could it be that
they only taking baby steps before they'll be shipping to the whole wide
world? (hopfully) I already gone broke for LEGO, I can't offered trips to
LEGOLAND every year, beside why should they care about 'MECHES', we'll have
to pay it anyway.

Also is it my imagination or this year, hardly any LEGO (beside HP,
Bionicales few Alphateam & almost none Starwars) came to the stores in
Israel? and beside Toys'r'us or Hann, other toy stores don't bring them at
all. Anyone knows why? in this rate next year they'll be no LEGO at all in
Israelies stores.

Yaron "Webrain" Dori