 Local / Canada / Ontario / 412

Subject:
Toronto Christmas Train Show a Success!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:57:06 GMT

(if you define success as 'Dave not breaking anything...' :) )

Anyway, pics can be found starting here--

http://sandysparky.net/gallery/20061118_christmas_train_show

I'm sure others will post more :)

Notable Notes--

the rtl Group's second display with the 'new' whimsical layout, and it's coming
along very nicely!  Featuring 3 independant train loops and a monorail moving
through all levels, it was a smash hit with kids.

(smash also being an operative word, considering the falling bridge and supports
as kids 'I didn't touch anything!!!' viewed it)

It helped that the duplo thomas ran almost consistantly on the top loop thru the
entire show... both to the viewing and to the smashing as kids wanted to get a
closer look...

Janey's layout was the most detailed and commented on--the merry-go-round, the
chrome diner, the graveyard.. etc. showed many people what LEGZO could do for
detail...

We didnt' get to join the two layouts due to a height difference, but that
sometimes happens.  John did show up with a beautiful suspension bridge that
stood on display thru the entire show...

Frank and Dough, the shows organizers, repeatedly let us know how much
enthusiasm our little display generates for the show.  As well, we were
'officially' invited to no less than 3 other shows (postings to follow) from the
other train clubs/organizers.  Many other displayers came over and had nothing
but good comments on our display at this show.

Thanks to Janey, Calum, Derek, JeffVW, Jeremy and John for making the effort
that made us look really good!!  Thanks to others that helped with the tear down
process.

Thanks to Sandy and everyone else that did most of the grunt work in getting all
my section torn down and loaded into the truck.

Lessons learned--

Stanctions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  For the love of all things with kids hitting
displays (especially Jeremy's corner...), we need 'em and we need 'em bad!!!
Talked to the other displayers about pros and cons of
stanctions/plexiglass/nothing, and it's about 6 for stanctions, 3 for plex and 1
for having nothing and 'keeping an eye on the kiddies to make sure they don't
touch anyhitng'.  The problem with plex is that, as one displayer stated--"We
tried that once or twice, but the kids would grab the plex and try to pull
themselves up to see the layout"  which'll cause more of an issue than not
having plex in the first place.  And I agree with Calum on this point-plex makes
it look cheap.  Besides, we can't use plex on the whimsical layout anyway 'cause
the track doesn't stay insode the perimeter of the modules...

Stanctions built into the sides of the modules is somethign I'm going to
moc-up--saw 2-3 displays that had PVC tube come about a foot out of the table
and rope strung thru the ends, thus creating a 'barrier' without having poles
and stanction baseplates.  I think it'll work.

Next lesson--I'm downsizing for displays--even with everyone's help, it took
waaay too long to set up and take down my 6-7 modules.  I'm going to leave that
layout in the basemet and come up with something much smaller to bring to shows.

one more lesson--going back to the basics--should more people become interested
to do shows, we have a set standard entrance and egress of track to each
person's area, and that's it.  If you want to 'work something out' with your
neighbour, then all the power to ya, but there will be a set standard for the
connection to the 'unknown module' next to yours.  And if you don't have modules
to bring, we'll work on something beforehand, but 'can I put this on your
layout' from those that just show up the day of will stop (sure, I talk big

I think having these items looked at and worked out will make our train shows
easier to set up/arrange/maintain then what we have now.

Anyway, I had a fantastic time at the show, and many people were very impressed
with what they saw.  Thanks to everyone there who made this work!

Take care,

Dave K