 Local / Australia / 9711
Re: Rip-off Europe again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:14:25 GMT

My theory on the Australian low price (my pre-order is in!) is that 70,000
Australian declared their religion to be Jedi in the recent census, so
therefore Imperial Star Destroyers are religious icons and hence sales tax
exempt.

Actually I just discovered that the Australian Bureau of Statistics have a WWW
page devoted to the Jedi religion:

http://www.abs.gov.au/852563C300810973/0/86429D11C45D4E73CA256A400006AF80?Open&
Highlight=0,jedi

or just go to www.abs.gov.au and use their search for "jedi".

Anyhow, as a tax-payer of this fine nation, I am delighted to discover that we
use our census data for such things as:

"a community group presenting a submission to get a local swimming pool; from
understanding the impacts on populations of major environmental issues such as
salinisation of the Murray-Darling Basin and impacts of aircraft noise in our
cities or the implications of rerouting the local bus services, or providing
extra cycling facilities"

and that, if people falsely indicate themselves to be adherents to the Jedi
religion, then this will impact on how these kinds of facilities will be
provided.

I can see their point. I don't recall ever seeing a Jedi swimming or cycling.
And clearly Tatoonie (or whatever they called the planet that Luke and Obi Wan
Kenobi lived on) does have a major salinisation problem that nobody appears to
be addressing. And as for local bus services, well, all Jedis have space
ships -- no catching the bus for them! Since Jedis engage in pod racing and
land their craft all over the place (often without invitation), it is quite
clear they don't care about aircraft noise either. Clearly if Australians
declare themselves to be Jedis, this will obviously lead to less swimming
pools, salinisation problems, aircraft noise, poorly located bus routes, and
fewer cycling facilities.

In contrast, if the good citizens of Australian declare themselves to be
Baptist, then clearly we will need more swimming pools for baptism ceremonies.
If they are Catholics, then all that salinisation can be used up by salting
fish for use on Fridays.  If they are Amish, they won't be travelling in
aircraft. If they are Mormons, then they will need better cycling facilities.
And finally if they declare themselves to have no religion, then buses can be
rerouted to eliminate unnecessary stops at churches.

Since I think we need better cycling facilities in this country, I guess I
should declare myself to be Mormon on the next census!

Kerry