 Local / Australia / 7449
Re: 6291 Armada Flagship - waddya reckon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:25:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Well, I assume lots of us are sitting at home admiring our new half-price
6291 Armada Flagship. Waddya reckon?

Well, I did get mine for $25 U.S., but that was quite some time ago.  Having
several already and looking at $50 U.S. price tag hasn't motivated me to buy
anymore.

My initial reaction is that it is too small. I like the bigger 16-wide hull,
whereas the Armada Flagship has only a 12-wide hull. Even with the 12-wide
hull, I'd like it longer. As I bought a 2nd one, I am in the process of
adding an additional centre section for extra length, but the conversion is
turning more into a palace pleasure barge than an armada flagship.

The standard complaint is that the pirates should have the smaller, more
nimble ship, and the "Spanish" should have a lumbering treasure galleon.

You can add another center section, but beyond that it starts to look like a
canoe.

But I digress. I do like the blue and white hull, but I would have liked to
see the blue-and-white theme used more in the set, with less of the red and
other random colours etc. For example, the green curved fence is a nice
piece in its own right, but I don't really like it in the set.

There actually is a blue gun-carriage that was available in some set.  Good
luck finding them now (it is the rarest color for such a part), but swapping
out the red and green parts for blue and white does give it a more unified look.

I like the mainsail, very attractive, but why the strange method of
attaching it. What's wrong with having another spar?

Cost.

And what on earth is
the rear sail all about? I'd like another big square sail instead (and
having a 2nd set, I soon will!). And why hold the bowsprit up with a string?

If you make the ship large enough for three masts, the rear lateen sail (and
vaguely hinted-at spritsail on the bowsprit) is appropriate, but turn the
thing the right way - I don't know why they have it mounted backwards in the
picture.

And the minifigs? I do like the Spanish dudes, and their cute moustaches and
silly helmets (puts me in mind of Monty Python). I had not been expecting
Spanish minifigs. I had been expecting Imperial dudes, but I suppose
"Armada" is Spanish for "navy" so I guess it makes sense.

I love those morion helmets and breastplates.

Bruce