 Local / Australia / 7330
Review: 8539 Manas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.reviews, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 01:39:20 GMT

Well, I figure anything with *two* remote controls must be good, so I ordered
one from Ozbricks (www.ozbircks.com), and when it arrived, I must say I was a
bit disappointed. One thing I did like was the little block thingies the rubber
bands were wrapped around, but that's about where it ended.

The remote receivers are *huge*, though they do contain 3 batteries & 2 motors,
so I guess it wouldn't be super easy to make them much smaller. They use 3xAA
batteries, and seem to be a bit under-powered for the finished models. It's
actually very difficult to trigger the mechanism on your opponent's model which
disables it.

Oh, that's the other neat thing - the disabling mechanism. It's very simple,
just a little leg in the centre with wheels that flicks down when triggered,
and lifts the tracks off the ground, so the model can't go anywhere. It's
triggered by hitting either of the masks between the "claws".

The remote controls have 3 channels to select from, or you can select "all" to
transmit on all 3 simultaneously. The receivers can select the appropriate
channel to listen to (though obviously they don't have the "all" option). The
receivers power down after a certain time of inactivity - not sure how long -
and are re-activated by pressing the "on" button. Though this was pretty
obvious, they don't really explain it in the manual, and a kid might be left
wondering what happens when you "turn" the "on" button (which has a cross-hole
just like the channel selector).

Oh, and did I mention, there's two outputs from each motor, one geared a fair
bit slower than the other (haven't measured the ratio). On the Manas, the slow
output drives the tracks, the fast one drives the "claws".

I guess it's not that bad really, and I'm sure I'll be able to use those
remotes in something one day. It'll have to be pretty big to use those
receivers, but that's OK - I *like* big!

ROSCO