 Local / Australia / 14494
Re: Identifying unknown piece
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 00:43:53 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Jason Wilson wrote:
On the bag it is Lego Educational division basg 2000630 and a
different bag with the same item is labelled 'wedgebelt wheel' with
a diameter of 11.2.

Could not find the piece on Peeron.

Really?  It's pretty easy to find, if you know what it's for:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2983

It's been several years since I had to try to find a listing based solely on the
design, though, and even then it's included in the core LDraw catalog if you dig
through the TECHNIC part chart.

The piece in question is on page 3, last column, 4th one down. It
allows an axle to go through the centre and has a rubber ring inside -
presumably to stop it sliding out. The same piece appears on page 5,
in section 5119 with an electrical motor - so guess it supposed to be
used with a motor.

Ah, no.  The rubber ring is used to attach it to the micromotor, which only has
a little nub about the same size as a standard stud.  The fact that it's a
rubber ring instead of any sort of axle/type attachment point helps prevent the
motor from burning out if the gearing binds up.  Basically, it acts like a
slip-clutch.  You'll find that the ring will also attach to a basic stud,
provided there isn't another stud immediately adjacent.