 Local / Australia / 12168
12167  |  12169
Subject:
Sydney Lego Fan gathering report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 00:56:49 GMT

Careful readers of .loc.au will note that a meeting of Sydney Lego fans was planned for last Sunday, but that the many significant details have so far gone unreported. This may have lead to the assumption that the gathering did not occur. But it did. Really.

Pete White charged me with reporting the gathering by 7pm Sunday night, but I have failed. I fully attribute this delay in posting to bley.

For the record, the Sydney Fans (often referred to as STUDs) began some time after noon, gathering in the Lego section of Gra^H^H^HMyers. Kev Hall, James Howse and Pete White were there when I arrived, with Richard Parsons arriving soon after, and Dave Low (remember him?) a but later again.

We did a thorough analysis of the Myer Lego offering, a cost/benefit evaluation of the discounted sets ($19 Jango’s bad, $5 Trolls good, ?$ basketballers laughable).

After some time we adjourned to the food court, where we broadened our knowledge of geography (is there a geographical area not represented at a modern day foodcourt?), and satiated our hunger (some of us chose wisely, others, to judge by the amount of food left on their plates, chose less well). And gave (generously?) to Salvo Red Shield collectors.

Then we headed to Hobbyco, vastly expanded since Dave left our shores. The experience obviously overwhelmed him, because he was seen to purchase a Best Lock set. Nothing staggering in the cost-benefit analyses there. At least not on the good side of the cost-benefit. $100 Republic Gunships were not too bad, and the Best Lock stuff was a bit of a novelty (2x2x2 macaroni!).

Following our departure from Hobbyco, James, Pete and Richard bid us adieu, and the remaining three continued on to David Jones, where Dave introduced us to some toys other than Lego and its clones. We checked out the Kylie Minogue dolls (which looked like Kylie from the right angle and if you squint, but which we agreed were way too tall for Kylie), avoided Barbie and her boyfriend Bleyne (as Mattel has insulted all Barbie fans), gazed in awe at the Sylvan family accessories and marvelled at the magnetic construction toy whose name eludes me.

In amongst our retail adventures, and over lunch we discussed future STUDs meetings, we have agreed on a June meeting (not conflicting with the Melbourne meeting) at a venue to be decided, which will feature Space Brikwars (TL5, 500pts IIRC). (Note, I am now officially unavailable on 20/6, if that makes a difference).

Port Brique will host a meeting in (mid) August, where Ancients will be the Brikwar of choice: swords & sandals will be the order of the day, and battles can be won with nothing more than a large wooden animal (or, perhaps, an Ark of the Covenant). Do battle with my soon to be created Philistine army, who will overun you with their massed spears and scythed chariots and then ruthlessly criticise your artworks!

Cheerio

Richie Dulin

PS Don’t forget to enter TGBSLILA Competition. There is free Lego to be won!