 LEGOLAND / Windsor / 147
Re: Legoland Windsor Visit Report (Am I the only one who cares!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.windsor, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:57:16 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.windsor, Robin Sayce-Jones wrote:
Visit Report
9th April 2006 previous visit Oct 2005.
Our first visit to Legoland this year. With news of a few new attractions
expectations were high. After a very pleasant trip down the M40 we found
ourselves at the park just before 10:00.
We joined the building queue ready for the park to open proper. It could have
done with some sort of countdown to raise the excitement even further. We had a
plan and it worked. Get Nath booked into Mindstorms, more of which later. Then
down to the bottom to join a very short queue for the Jungle ride. Then slowly
work our way around the park in no particular order.
The new Digger ride was a mixed event. Other than you get to control a real
digger, or in lots of cases young kids sat in the cabs while dad's leaned over
and did the controlling! the ride itself lacked something. There was very little
noise. it needed some construction noises in the background or some element of
competition. The cabin where you found out about the ride was quite good. it
reminded me of trips with my own father to work sites years ago. Only this was
cleaner and didn't smell of smoke.
By the Digger ride was the Discount Tent that has moved from outside the park to
the bottom. It was closed at 11:00ish but open at 2:00ish. Not as many bargains
as usual but key rings at £1.20 for members is a steal.
From there we went to Mindstorms. As at 11:55 only Nath was registered so I
added my name. Typically two other kids joined in at the last minute leaving me
feeling like the oldest kid on the block! Much fun was had by all and I couldn't
resist reprogramming the RCX to do what I wanted it to do. No sign on NXT and it
didn't seem worth asking about it either.
The new London area in miniland was very impressive with the Gherkin being
beautifully modelled. It's a pity the view of the new tower blocks isn't so
great from the top of the park as the best building is obscured. Either way we
were all impressed.
We joined a very long queue for the new 4D Spellbreaker 4D attraction. We were
the last people let in which was lucky and even managed to sit on the front row.
The Video itself was more like 3.5D as we only really had wind and snow. There
seemed to be quite a few places where a little water was expected but nothing
happened. So beautifully rendered in 3D but it didn't have the excitement of the
Racers 4D video.
The rain started as were inside queuing for the Dragon ride which stopped on its
entry back inside leaving us slightly damp, not that it worried us. Talking of
damp, MrsS-J wouldn't let us on the Extreme Challenge ride, my favourite but not
one for a chill wind. Having said that the queue never stopped, nor did the
togged up kids in the Duplo splash area. By which the Fairy Tale Brook was
closed. A shame as it's the last small ride our kids will go on.
We were a little surprised that they hadn't done anything with the start of the
Maze area but at least it was all clean and well tendered.
The kids had a tattoo each which although a little expensive looked a lot better
than the stick on types. Nath had the Leo brick, cool. Mrs S-J didn't let me
have one but then I’d have to explain it back at work. The log flume didn't soak
us for a change, but others came off suitably soaked!
The park itself was reasonably busy. There seemed to be loads of 3-5 year olds
with Nath at 10 looking quite old, but that meant the queues for the bigger
rides were smaller than the number of people would suggest.  A good selection of
wheels and axles in the build and test area, even if it was all on the floor! We
did a few more rides which I won't bother listing but what we went on was fine.
The restaurants were packed!!! The food was okay but it seemed odd that you
ordered drinks at the start of the queue which was at least 10 minutes long,
which meant the drinks were cold when you sat down. We were totally confused of
what was available at the pasta restaurant. We couldn't work out what were kids
portions or adult portions and what drinks came with what. However with 25% off
for members we all ate and drank for £12 which was pretty good.
The pick-a-brick shop used to sell stuff in little pots. It now sells it in bags
at £40/kilo. I managed to get Jon to just get £3 worth so got away lightly
there. In fact there weren't any good buys but then there never are. A chap
tried to use the Lego Shop Loyalty Card but it wasn't accepted as Lego Windsor
isn't owned by the same people!
We left before the 10 year anniversary show which went on until 9:00 as we had
to drive home.
So was it a good trip? Of course. Not as good as the first time you go to
Legoland but we'll be back again before our annual membership runs out. We
didn’t feel the need to go on every ride but rather we enjoyed the day.
I hope you enjoyed my little report and it encourages you to make a visit soon.
Robin

You're not the only one who cares. Almost everyone else who does have joined the
Brickish Association and we've talked about it in the discussion forum over
there.

This year I first went on the preview day. New miniland London was great and
there were no queues on the rides, I also met some fellow AFOLs. I also went on
the 10th with friends and family and will be going on the 30th with some more
fellow AFOLs.

David