 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6283
Re: Ebay auction... (suspect?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.lego.direct, Alexander Farlie wrote:

***big snip***

   Sadly in finding the specfic auction above, I also found a few others :(

Thanks for listening.

On the plus side, the auction ended without a bid. I only glanced at it, so I don’t know if it was terminated by the eBay powers-that-be, or if it truly lapsed without interest.

Dave!

If the eBay powers-that-be would have been involved you would get a page that says the auction number is not valid or does not exist. Since you can see the auction ended it is because time ran out for the auction with no bids.

In terms of a DVD full of LEGO instructions I only know of several on the market that are legit. 1

The CD-ROM (ok not a dvd) by Mechanized Bricks of his CUSTOM WWII series I models, url: http://www.mechanizedbrick.com/mb.html

Foundry DX Mecha CD series (again NOT a DVD), url: http://www.foundrydx.com/main.html

and Brickmania DVD re-published under license by A&M Productions 2 which contains all the original Brickmania models, except for Blacksmith Shop which was licensed to TLC under the MOC series, uel: http://www.aamproductions.biz

The Brickmania DVD is NOT a full 4.8 GB full of data or instructions for that matter. It also includes tons of other stuff (photos, other instructions, etc.)

In terms of what you can do. eBay does have a form that you can fill out to report copyright infringements auctions if you go the HELP section on ebay and type in bootleg recording you will get to this url: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/bootlegs.html at the bottom is a report violation (you need to be signed in) and can report the auction number. eBay will look at the auction and determine if they are going to shut it down.

Note that this DOES NOT always work and it depends on the amount of money ebay has to GAIN from the auction. eBay has been know to turn a blind eye if it is just one or two people reporting a violation on an item as they would rather charge the fee on the auction. Do a google search to learn more about this issue on eBay’s double standards of who and what they crack down on.

Now if TLC itself is not willing to take action (per another post on this thread) then there is not much we (non copyright holders) can do about it.

1 By legit I mean these optical disc contain CUSTOM LEGO building instructions that are copyright by the creators of the instructions and NOT TLC.

2 I, Ahui Herrera, am the owner of A&M Productions.

-Ahui A&M Productions