 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3913
Re: bulks and trees and some new stuff on its way
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:47:45 GMT

Season's Greetings-

To those who believe that "true" bulk sales can only be numbered in the
thousands of elements...

Well, "bulk" certainly isn't "2" (check the catalog for a number of items
that come "2" in a "bulk" pack).

Of course it's thousands. The big blue tub of 1200 bricks for $20 full
retail, no matter how you slice and dice it, shows that LEGO can profitably
sell bricks for a lot less than the current "bulk" packaging. We have bought
dozens of tubs and the predecessor boxes for projects here (and we don't
resell bricks).

We were delighted when we saw the first LEGO Direct post two Christmas's
back. The real promise was "access" to fill the needs of serious builders
need. When a builder in a model shop in Billund or Carlsbad or Windsor needs
a part, he orders a bulk box that's several cubic feet and filled with the
one particular part. He may have to wait 6 months for the item to go through
the presses, but the order is aggretated and eventually filled. That's the
type of access and "bulk" we were looking forward to.

Maybe once a month or once a quarter LEGO Direct could fill orders for
bricks in multiples of 1000. You would have the efficiency of aggregated
orders that could be built to schedule with zero inventory cost -- it would
all be presold.

-Ted Michon
Irvine, CA