 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1116
Re: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer™ User Agreement (was: Re: New stuff at shop.lego.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:21:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman wrote:

My concern is that LEGO might try to argue that the final brick configuration
from the dithering algorithm was part of the "new material" added by LEGO in
connection with preparing the final product.

Hmm.  I think it could be argued that the mosaic pattern is a reproduction
of the original material, and so doesn't merit a new copyright.  Just like
reproducing a color picture in gray-scale halftone.  Especially since the
reproduction is a mechanical process, and TLC has no manual/artistic effort
in it.  'It' being converting any one image into a mosaic.

Could you then create your own LDraw version of the mosaic and not be in
violation of the BoL UA?

Dunno.  Would that be a derivative work, or just plagiarism?

Not elements of your picture, because you have copyright to the
picture.

In other words, you read it as saying they're not claiming a derivative
copyright but rather a copyright on the _difference_ between the final
and the original?  Or not even that, but just a copyright on the portion
they give you which allows you to physically build the mosaic?

I think it's more they're claiming copyright on whatever they can, even
though they haven't clearly defined what that is.

But I think the intention is to copyright the non-mosaic-pattern aspects.
The border, the way the overall construction is designed, and the
instructions.  Not to mention the IP rights on the designs of the building
bricks/plates/elements.

Steve