 LEGO Company / 814
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:48:18 GMT

Hi Jake,

thank you for your concern in our dislike in the new colors and for starting this posting.

This is my first posting here on Lugnet. I am usually a quiet reader here. And I think if it hadn’t been for the color change, I keep my lips shut.

But the move TLC made is a good excuse for me to speak up and add my opinion to this communities effort to bring back the old colors.

Most people here already expressed my feelings about the recent color change. So I think at this stage I won’t have to talk about any color mismatches, sorting problems and my many year long commitment to building with Lego bricks, always relying on quality and color for years to come.

But one little story I have for you. In the summer of 2003, I visited the 1000steine-Land in Berlin, Germany. I took with me two of my dearest frieds, Daniela and Carsten. Both were so positivly overwhelmed of the huge train-layout, all the MOCs and simply about the fact that one can bulid so many wonderful and different things with Lego bricks. A few days after the show, Carsten got so excited about getting his old Lego collection down from the attic and we both started to make out all the Lego Sets he possessed and building up his 7740 Trainset. As a result, Daniela and Carsten put the Lego Star Destroyer and ALL three Lego Plane Sculptures on their Christmas list and they GOT them all! It is quite a fortune these students and Lego newbies spent on Lego last year!

Now I think you can imagine how disappointed they were, when I gave them the word on the color change. I didn’t have to explain much. They knew Lego is never going to be that what it once was.

Dear TLC, even if you lost a little in sales in 2003, I think you also won alot of new customers in 2003, which will certainly give you positive numbers in 2004. Then again, through this color change, you will certainly lose customers in 2004, giving you bad numbers for 2005! I for sure know you just lost Daniela and Carsten in 2004. Try to win them back in 2005!

Think about it.

Best regards

Klaus Dobisch