 LEGO Company / 703
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:33:36 GMT

I like the introduction of new colors (light yellow, sand colors, dark red), but to replace colors is something else. As far as I know, LEGO has only discontinued one color in the past (Maersk blue) and that is solely because it was a promotional color only available to a limited audience, so it is to be expected somewhat. I agree with other AFOLs that the logic behind this change seems illogical, especially for a company that is reknowned with quality and COMPATIBILITY. I would say that I have a lot of the greys, but to have to fight other AFOLs for the now limited supply makes me not want to buy LEGO at all right now. Brown has not been a color people have felt passionately enough about to defend, but the new brown is just not as bright and LEGO-like as the old.I beg that the company stick with tradtion during this restructure and find that decisions such as this one were not the most well thought out plans.

Jeramy Spurgeon

[...]

IMHO the discontinuation of Maersk blue is no different than the change of
color to the greys.  If you place a Maersk blue brick next to a medium blue
brick (the light blue color found in the Creator sets), you will notice how
"yellowed" the Maersk blue brick is (even if it is brand new).  You simply
can't use the same two colors adjacent to one another in a MOC, it doesn't
look right.

I believe the reason this hasn't been discussed is because very few people
have much Maersk blue to speak of.  The results was the introduction of
medium blue was viewed as a new color and not a change to the original light
blue (aka Maersk blue due to it's appearance in Maersk promotional sets).
It is entirely possible that medium blue was the first of the color changes.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

For