 LEGO Company / 3300
Re: How does this ruling affect using Lego in domain names?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:10:55 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Robert Fries wrote:
   From an article on CNN, an appeals court ruled that: ... Will this decision change Lego’s stance on using Lego in domain names, provided the sites are not for-profit, or confusing consumers by providing links to non-Lego products?

I kinda doubt it. There isn’t much recourse Lego has when it comes to *forcing* you to change your domain name, but it can waste your time (and its time) with legal proceedings, I’m sure. Sorta like the old BrickBay vs. Ebay. Ebay could easily have lost an ensuing court case, but it just wasn’t worth it to Dan. If Dan had wanted to, he could’ve gotten a lawyer, paid some court fees (in addition to things like airfare and room & board to appear at the court in question), but would it have been worth it?

What the case *will* do, is allow you, the consumer, to disrespect Lego’s wishes a little easier. Using that case as legal precedent, you may be able to stop a legal battle more quickly.

But with respect to Lego, I don’t think the idea was ever “CHANGE YOUR SITE OR WE’LL TAKE LEGAL ACTION!!!”. I think the idea was always “Please respect that we’d prefer you didn’t use the Lego name in your domain name”. I don’t think they’re trying to be jerks, they just want to try and preserve their copyright as much as possible.

DaveE