 LEGO Company / 3234
Re: LEGO Factory updates and insight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:54:57 GMT

In lugnet.lego.announce, Jake McKee wrote:
   After a number of highly successful week, the LEGO Factory contest has come to an end. We’re in the process now of judging the entries. The winning design will be turned into a product and will be launched in June 2005. If you haven’t taken a moment to consider what a huge step this is, now’s the time. :)

I’ve noticed that there’s been some concern surrounding the rules and implementation of this first contest. Let me first say that we fully acknowledge there were a few issues in the process, and are working to resolve them now for the next contest.

   The LEGO Factory competition is a first generation project and will be continuing to develop. In the next 24 months, you will see a continual expansion of the 3D technology (including a MacOS LDD for late summer! - check out LEGO Fan for a screenshot) to allow the LEGO Community to create, play and purchase in entirely new ways. This competition is just the start and we hope the fans continue to help in growing and furthering the concept.

We have been listening to input from fans, participants, children, and adults on how to improve the competition. The idea of a design contest is just the beginning, it only scratches the surface. In the coming months and years, we are aiming to continuously improve the process in order to allow consumers to design and purchase their own products…

(Oh, and did I mention, purchasing your models or other people’s models will be here late summer??)

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

Jake this is all good news, thanks for the update. It’s a pity that there was some oblious cheating going on, but it sounds as though it is being addressed. The MAC OS version is also great news.

And of course you final statement is the best of all, and highly antisapated.

Mat