 LEGO Company / 3170
Re: Price of petrol vs price of plastic products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:15:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Yanick Fournier wrote:
Hi,

I just read this in local newspaper (Le journal de Montréal) edition of Nov 8th
2004:

==liberal translation from french==

"Montréal based compagny MegaBlock indicated in October that they will need to
increase cost of their toys to compensate the higher price of the primary
ingredients use in the fabrication process.

"We have a big pressure on us since the petrol barrel got to 50$" said friday
Eric Phaneuf, spokesman of MegaBlok.

The compagny is dealing with the giants retail stores like Wal-Mart, Target and
ToysRUS to convice them to increase the prices starting next year.

Since those retailers will be "forced" to increase the price of MegaBlok
products, many other makers would be in the same situation.

"If you try to do it alone, I don't think it's possible, but when the the idea
is accepted by the majority, consummers will sadly have to pay in the end" he
said.

=========

Wow, this is not good news.  Do you think LEGO will want (will have) to follow
that road?

I'm keeping this in lugnet.lego because it might actually be relevant there.
Feel free to FUT as appropriate.

Overnight, KMart has increased its prices for MegaBloks sets by about 15%.  I
happen to have been in this same store yesterday, so I know that the price
change has occurred since then.

A few specific examples:

                     Yesterday   Today
The Thing 2-Go       $5.99      $6.99
Spiderman vs. Venom  $29.99     $34.99
FX Striker           $12.99     $14.99

I didn’t notice an equivalent increase on the stock of C3 sets, but I know that
the few they have on the shelf are leftovers from pre-Xmas.  I also can't say
whether there's been a corresponding increase in LEGO, since I don't track those
prices as closely.

This increase is hardly surprising, but it's still a bummer.

Dave!